Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Sailnet Polls > Sailnet.com Polls
 Not a Member? 

Sailnet.com Polls Participate in our weekly surveys to help us better understand who the members of the community are and what you're interested in. NEW!

View Poll Results: Are you a do-it-yourselfer?
Yes 512 96.42%
No 19 3.58%
Voters: 531. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012

Jeaux-Jeaux is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty much a "jack of all trades" and master of a few. I will do pretty much everything myself in most cases. Mainly out of necessity and the lack of funds to pay someone else. Plus I just like doing things myself and having the self satisfaction of completing something with my 2 hands.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
The culture we live in frowns on self reliance, people are supposed to "have things done for them.",this runs contrary to how I was brought up and what I was told a cruising sailor should know/do.
Old 02-09-2012

Wolfenzee,

I think that there are 2 sides to our culture. The people that get things done by doing it, and the people who pay to get things done. I happen to be one of those people who get things done by doing something myself. I would bet that most of the people in this forum are self reliant people, they have to be in order to be sucessfull at owning, operating, going places, and in some cases living on there sailboats. I glad to hear that you were raised to be self reliant, that was not the case with me, I just somehow turned out that way. I don't think it was by design from my parents, it just happened, and I like that way. I am trying to raise my son to be like me in that respect. Allthough I will have to admit, sometimes I feel like it's a curse because people are always wanting you to do things from them and taking away from the things you need to get done for yourself. But then there is also always the times when it would be better to pay someone to do something for you, but you can't bring yourself to do it, because of the way you are. Catch 22 being self reliant and handy. Yes current culture is as you say, but I believe it is changing back to the way it was when people did things for themself.
Old 02-11-2012

Shemlock is on a distinguished road
There are a lot of great replies here and I tend to be of the same mind.So Ill try t o add something to the thread by stating that if I don't know or cant figure out something I always thank God for the internet and all the mostly good folks that are on sites like this.Before I give up a dime I research the hell out of it and if the burden is too much,I get a pro and help him do it! I Keep my eyes and ears open ask questions and next time I know how to do it.Another benefit is I make sure the quality of work is there and maybe save a few bucks.
Old 02-11-2012

I 2nd that. The internet is a great resource, but I usally back that up with books, and getting to know people who are professionals, so I can pick there brains. And then there is always just learning by doing, which is what I suspect most of us do.
Old 02-11-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
Shemlock:
Nicely put and my approach as well. I also have always genuinely enjoyed learning from someone else via unobtrusive observation (and listening) I was lucky enough to be a kid dragged around boatyards on the south shore of long island when many yards still had active boat builders. Karl Tank, Southards, Brewsters, Lake Worth Marine (in Florida) etc etc The shops smelled of teak, white oak cedar Honduras and usually, pipe smoke. There was also a pervasive dominance of Resorcinol as the glue of choice (serious builders) When I was about ten they started teaching me to plug teak decks! Now I would honestly rather not bend down that much
Old 02-15-2012

rightbrainer is on a distinguished road
Mechanical stuff-yes...fiberglass-no

I just stink at fiberglass work, so I'll leave that to the pros. If it's a nuts and bolts job, I'm game.
Old 02-15-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
I build everything I can on my boat, from the keel up. I find that home built is almost always a better product than commercially built ,as a bit of extra time or material, which would break a commercial builder, building thousands of any item, is small change for the one off.
Why would I pay others to have all my fun for me?
Old 02-15-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
When I told someone what I am doing on my boat (gutting the interior and building cabinetry using exotic woods,rewiring,building new hatches,boom gallows, winch mounts, replacing standing rigging,etc..) I was told "Your lucky,you have the skills..". I didn't have the skills when I started, it wasn't until someone else pointed out all the really kewl stuff I could do to my boat and someone else pointed out there is a distinct line where a boat becomes a home (and what was necessary to cross that line) that I acquired the skills.
Old 02-15-2012

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
I do nearly everything myself...I always feel like I've been ripped off otherwise. Plus most stuff I do is one off or out of the box and the comfort zone of most professionals.