Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Sailnet Polls > Sailnet.com Polls
 Not a Member? 

Sailnet.com Polls Participate in our weekly surveys to help us better understand who the members of the community are and what you're interested in. NEW!

View Poll Results: Are you a do-it-yourselfer?
Yes 538 96.59%
No 19 3.41%
Voters: 557. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008

MIKEMCKEE will become famous soon enough
I try to do most of the normal boat maintance myself, but as always there are some items that I don't have the knowledge or tools to do it right. I have found that 87% of the time I do require another person to do a job, I find that I have to go behind them to,
1. Ensure that what I wanted was done correctly (not Half A***d)
2. Clean up the area where the work was done
At a rate of about $65.00 per hour I really get upset having to do this. One time I had a DC system rewired and you wouldn't belive the trash all over the place, I had so much scrap electrical junk in the bilge, I was afraid to use the bilge pump, I had to crawl in there and hand the junk to my wife bit by bit.
Anyway I do try to fix thing's myself, that way when it breaks down again I can only blame myself.

Mike
s/v Blue Bayou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2008

DBartilson is on a distinguished road
Whatever I think I can handle, I do now while I'm young (65). I can see in the near future that not doing hull polishing/waxing will be contracted out but almost everything else I need to do to be familiar with all the systems. Besides, the boat is 30 years old...anything I do is generally an improvement and I'll have the experience when/if I get a newer boat. In the meantime, I've improved and learned about my boat and boats in general.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best regards & fair winds,

David Bartilson
S/V 2nd Chance
Old 08-13-2008

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I have pulled, and installed motors. Painted from the top of the house down. Rebedded the keel of ole' Frolic. Replaced swagings, and installed complete standing rigging. Replaced chunks of the bow ripped out by an idiot boater. Did I mention the boat is wood? Designed, and installed port bow roller. Fabricated supports for new traveler. Pulled heads for bad gaskets. Installed radar mast along with the radar. Arch for solar panel I installed, and the list goes on.

I will save the making of sails, and rebuilding notors to the experts. I will install them though! My budget forces me to do the work, and find great satisfaction afterwards!
Old 08-13-2008

SailorAmy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailorAmy Send a message via Yahoo to SailorAmy Send a message via Skype™ to SailorAmy
You should see me with a sandblaster...
Old 08-30-2008

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
boats are like horses, some people muck their own stalls
some people pay to have some one else muck their stalls
(for those who don't know anything about horses, mucking stalls is shoveling manure).
Alot of the cost of owning a boat is paying someone to do the work for you.
Old 09-09-2008

geraldartman is on a distinguished road
Yep! Addicted. Last year reworked a Catalina 22. New wiring, pump-out head, new sheets, minor fixes and electronics. Sold it last fall. Purchased a US Yacht 25 with trailer this spring. This fall/winter will gut and refit. Already repaired crack in rudder. Same price as the Catalina 22. Much more boat with 10 horse motor, roller thingy, depth and speedo, even a spinnaker. Mama has her enclosed head and I have a galley. Don't like the layout so will completely redo the interior. Nice thing about this one is it does not have a molded interior liner. Its all wood and ready to be cut out. I already have new opening ports, compass, and designs drawn.

Hopefully, she'll be in shape for next summer in the North Channel.

Jerry
Old 09-10-2008

The man that biult my boat did a wonderful job, on the boat part. Cabin looked a bit rough to me, turns out the biulder stoped working on the boat when he turned 70 and all the subsequent owners never did much to the boat. I am totally rebuilding the interior, replacing/upgrading the hatches, modifying the rig etc....
my theory is that if you have a sound hull anything else can be rebuilt, repaired, redesigned, replaced or removed

Last edited by wolfenzee; 09-14-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: edited wrong place
Old 09-10-2008
Shaken-not Stirred

capngregg is on a distinguished road
Cool

I have found that the work I do is better quality than I can get if I hire it out. (except for really specialized stuff like electron beam welding and other high end work) Not that I do superb work but rather most jobs I've hired out have been mediocre quality for a premium price and like most of you have noted, you have to go behind the workers and clean up their mess and sometimes repair their repair.

At the cost of some jobs as 2Gringos said you can buy the tools and use them again for other projects. Since I can't afford a therapist, I use boat repair as my "therapy". There's something very attractive and soothing about getting lost in thought on a challenging project.

Boat repairs of the "major" category also give you a chance to practice Engineering systems and repairs of all sorts. (it helps to be an Engineer though so you don't over or under Engineer a project or repair)

DIY 'til you Die!
Old 09-10-2008

the last work I "hired out" was to someone that could do a much better job than I.....problem is the never got the work done and it cost me $3000 to do the work myself

My fault for helping out a friend in need then trusting that the work I paid to do would get done, I guess I am just old fasion.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 09-14-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2008

BluewaterBruce is on a distinguished road
If I can do it, you can do it.

I do it all or at least I'm willing to do it all, fiberglass, engine, plumbing, electric, paint - everything. I learn as I go and there are times I have to redo work but the more I do the more I learn and... I can by all the special tools I want with the savings. With the special tools the next task is easier. My wife is trying to figure out where we are going to put all the tools when we cruise.. But when we do cruise, I will know all systems aboard and be able to complete repairs. I did this with with a 25 year old Harley and rode it for a year and a half starting in 2000 - I took it completely apart and then rebuilt the engine, painted (4 times to get that RIGHT! - now that cost me a few bucks) and completly reassembled it to the point it almost looked new. After the the Mpls to Alaska to Key West to DC to L.A to Oregon to Mpls - ride, I moved to Pensacola; I stopped riding and started sailing. In all honesty I do not or did not know how to do any of this. But I never took a class on sailing, motorcycles or computers and I have been doing computers for 14 years now and I have my own business. If I go easy, think it through, stop when I am not sure and don't settle for less than doing it right - even if it means doing it again and costing me more money - I get er' done and I get er' done right. That's my half baked philosophy but it works well, for me. I sure do need more spare time though... there's always drawbacks in everything you do. I have been working on the Soverel for one year now, we bought it from a charity in South Florida - needed a little work like another engine and major (in my opinion) hull work. I do find having too many things apart at once increases the difficulty but.. sometimes that's just the way it goes. It was more fun in the begining but she is so beautiful I can not keep my hands off of her - the boats nice too!

Last edited by BluewaterBruce; 09-13-2008 at 10:19 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.