Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Sailnet Polls > Sailnet.com Polls
 Not a Member? 

Sailnet.com Polls Participate in our weekly surveys to help us better understand who the members of the community are and what you're interested in. NEW!

View Poll Results: Are you a do-it-yourselfer?
Yes 521 96.48%
No 19 3.52%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008

Splashme is on a distinguished road
Nobody works on my boat but me. I've seen, and been victim of, such incompetence by yards that I will allow nothing else. I do better work. I built the boat from a hull and deck anyway, so it isn't like I need them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2008

Ready2go is on a distinguished road
I have been offered a job many times at our local yard. It seems every Spring I'm out there either sanding, priming, sanding, priming, sanding, painting. or sanding-varnishing, sanding-varnishing...... I know the ins and outs of my orbital sanders and multi-tool better than most men. One bit of advise buy good quality sandpaper and change it frequently!!! That's what you do when you have a 35 year old boat. I would MUCH rather work on the boat than do housework ANYDAY!
Old 09-20-2008

mdervage is on a distinguished road
Can't weld (tho I'd love to). Have done lots of fiberglass work, including designing and helping build a hard dodger and hardtop. About to buy some electronics and get them installed.
Old 09-29-2008
Charter Captain

Location: Buffalo, NY (warm months), Liveaboard in Caribbean (cold months)
harryrezz is on a distinguished road
Hey - I'm poor and I own a boat! Need I say more????
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Located Southern Caribbean
Old 09-29-2008

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
If you have lots of money you can afford to own a house, several cars a boat and pay someone to fix your boat. If you are poor then you live on a boat, ride the bus and work on your boat yourself. I live on a boat, ride the bus and learned to fix my boat the hard way.
Old 09-29-2008

Ready2go is on a distinguished road
I was just typing the listing for our old boat and I noticed the new list was VERY long. New bottom epoxy barrier coat, new paint, new traveler, resealed hull deck joint, new varnish, new winches, new compass, rebedded rubrail, portlights,and cleats (and that's just a few items) Do you think the boat yard did any of that??? (except the new engine) And now we're selling her and getting a well taken care of 2001 which needs very little work -figure that out
Old 09-30-2008

tschmidty is on a distinguished road
So does ripping a boat in half, replacing the deck core count, and misc. other work count? SHows what I get for buying a project.

Some updates here, Gone Ridin
Old 10-01-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewaterBruce View Post
It was more fun in the begining but she is so beautiful I can not keep my hands off of her - the boats nice too!
Old 10-19-2008

Cerveza is on a distinguished road
I bought my boat to provide me with an all-year hobby, not just for sailing, but improving and maintaining stuff. Learning as I go.
Old 10-21-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalar View Post
Most definitely - I do just about everything myself.

Other than enjoying being able to fix or renew things, and saving money, I think it's important to learn the boat and her systems thoroughly.

That way, when on a trip and something breaks, you can put things right without having to tie up somewhere waiting for a yard to be able to schedule you in (assuming there's one in the area and you can actually make it there!).

dave.
1980 Petit Prince
The Self-Made Sailor
The winner.

If you are a cruiser and you have a component, system or piece of equipment aboard you cannot fix then it should not be relied on . . . and why carry unreliable items on a cruise? ;-)

But I am guilty myself. I tried to wire a binnacle GPSMAP into my Sea-Talk bus on my own. The nautical terms aroused a neighbor from down the jetty (a retired engineer from Lockheed) and he went back and got his lap-top and connected up to my GPS and started wading through code. He ended up getting everything to talk to each other, including the cabin VHF (which I could then use as a LAT/LON & time repeater at the NAV station), Auto-helm and multi display at the NAV station. WAY beyond my abilities. On the other hand I was better at woodwork (and have the tools) so we complemented each other well. He can walk onto a strange boat and design something like a automatic solenoid triggered battery charging and isolation system without writing anything down and wire it up without backtracking. I tried to do the same thing recently (he's move to larger waters) and it took me hours of "cypherin" on scratch pads . . . and it still ain't right.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau