Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Sailnet Polls > Sailnet.com Polls
 Not a Member? 

Sailnet.com Polls Participate in our weekly surveys to help us better understand who the members of the community are and what you're interested in. NEW!

View Poll Results: Are you a do-it-yourselfer?
Yes 521 96.48%
No 19 3.52%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008
An Aussie Sailor

Mipcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Mipcar Send a message via MSN to Mipcar Send a message via Skype™ to Mipcar
Try to do stuff myself.. within the scope of my skills and equipment.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2008

MrE2u2 is on a distinguished road
Yup, in fact I built the little gem you see in my avatar. Hey, don't laugh.. it's paid for!
Old 11-19-2008

Karletto is on a distinguished road
no for big stuff like building a boat etc yes for small stuff like wiring, some nuts/ bolts, drilling etc.
you know in life a lot of small things matters instead of few big things.
Old 11-19-2008

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karletto View Post
no for big stuff like building a boat etc yes for small stuff like wiring, some nuts/ bolts, drilling etc.
you know in life a lot of small things matters instead of few big things.
I employed someoen to do the big stuff, like rebiuld my hatches and assit in total rebiuld of my interior. They ended up leaving me with most of my tools and materials (but not all), none of my money and nothing done.
Old 01-13-2009
Making Ready

dsiddens is on a distinguished road
If you want the job done right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
And I will buy special tools, if I think there is a chance I will ever use them again. I will rent them if not. I would rather learn something, and end up with the tools than pay somebody else and just end up with the job done. Or maybe done. !!!

Sadly, in most cases I find that the work I do myself is much higher quality than what I can hire. And for the same money, I end up with the tools and knowledge to be more self sufficient.
Yes!
Old 01-14-2009

AlCameron is on a distinguished road
Even if the instructions try to tell me this is something only a "professional" should do, I will still try to do it myself, I've found most "professionals" don't care enough to do it right the first time, they may do it more often but they don't own it...my boat that is...
Old 01-15-2009

Dick Pluta is on a distinguished road
My favorite all time quote is from the Water Rat in "The Wind In The Willows"..."There is simply nothing quite so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats".

I work on my boat because:

a. I'm basically cheap
b. I do a better job than most of the "pros".
c. I enjoy it
d. and most important. It is of primary importance to me that I understand and can maintain all the systems of my boat. I can't count on anyone else to know what to do and how to do it, or, for that matter, having someone there to do it. I recall leaving an anchorage in the marshes of South Carolina on a trip down the ICW when the transmission failed on my Atomic 4 powered Pearson 30. No reverse. Half an hour with me and some end wrenches and we were under way again. It was a simple band adjustment that I learned to do when I rebuilt the engine. I could have called BoatUS for a tow and waited in a marina for a mechanic and spent a fortune. I didn't have to do that. Even more important, what would have happened if that happened somewhere where there was no BoatUS.

Being a do it yourselfer isn't just about saving money. It's about being able to survive anywhere with no one but yourself to count on. Isn't that the essence of cruising?

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Nassau, Bahamas
Old 01-16-2009

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
Yes. I'm a do-it-yourself person.

I make my own antennas, I build radios. I can do all kinds of wood working. I can do metal work (except welding, I need to learn that). I can grow a garden, make my own beer, kill, clean and prepare my own meat. I can sew (use a sewing machine and I'm about to get a chance to enhance those skills on a sail repair).

My wife and I have always been self-sufficient - and taught our children most of the skills we know.

Might not be perfect at all of them or most of them, but some I'm damned good at. Some I pretty much suck at, but at least I can do a passable job.

Hell, I can even build stained-glass windows...

Then again, I subscribe to Heinlein's Theory of Humans -

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. " Robert Heinlein

Of the above, I've accomplished all but two at some point in my life and the only one I'm currently unsure of is "conn a ship". But, I got the theory down, I'm about to do it practically in a couple of months and it might just become my "real life" from now on.

As for "dying gallantly" - I'll wait for that time and hope I do it well.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Old 01-16-2009
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
When I was a child, for a hobby I assembled model cars, planes and ships.

My mother gave me some really cool sewing thread, black and thick. Made nice looking rigging on my ships.

When I was around 9 years old, some friends and me built our first boat out of wood scrapes we get from construction sites, they did give it!

I have built a few boats since from canoes to small sailboats, stitch-n-glue type stuff and of course, the "Corky" an inner-tube day sailor.

This is my hobby, started with small plastic models, learned to read instructions, and go from there.

So, yep, I do-it-myself, it is fun for me, it is my hobby.

I am starting a new/used boat now. Hope to finish by Spring.
Old 01-16-2009

TeamDestructo85 is on a distinguished road
i like to think i'm pretty handy, between my dad and i we can do about anything. We lost half our rudder sailing one day on the old 25' buccaneer. thing sheared right down the middle. We spent the weekend making a new one and it worked just fine after that, boat has been long sold, i'm kinda curious how it's held up after all these years...