Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Sailnet Polls > Sailnet.com Polls
 Not a Member? 

Sailnet.com Polls Participate in our weekly surveys to help us better understand who the members of the community are and what you're interested in. NEW!

View Poll Results: Are you a do-it-yourselfer?
Yes 529 96.53%
No 19 3.47%
Voters: 548. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
I can't stand paying someone to do something I think I can do myself. I am not afraid to tackle new things either. Yes, I've bungled some things but everything has usually come out well. So yes, I am a do-it-yourselfer on the boat and in my home.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2011

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
The value of "Here hold this and/or hand me that" is highly under rated. I grew up riding horses, there are two types of horse owners, those that muck their own stalls and those that pay others to muck their stalls, the same applies to boats. What keeps the marine industry alive are the people that have more money than time. If I had more money I would pay a "profesional" to help me.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 08-13-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2011

I take it "do-it-yourselfer" means someone who either designs and/or makes stuff himself or doesn't pay someone to do stuff on his boat, not someone that does it allllll by themself with no assistance...ever. I am "technically/mechanically orientated" but just sometimes a helping hand makes the differance between possible and/or feasible and not.
Old 08-20-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
I've always been a jack-of-all-trades. It's actually a curse because I can't see paying another guy to do something that I can do, just a little more slowly. From building computer to installing heating systems (final check by pro), reupholstering the boat to rebuilding my SUV front end, I do it all.
Old 08-21-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
With household or boat repairs/improvements, my theory has always been that if I try it and screw it up, I can always just call the guy who I was gonna call in the first place. It usually works out fine and I have a nice assortment of tools that I bought with the savings. I do know my limits, though. EX: when I remodeled my kitchen, I did the demo, cabinets, tile & plumbing, but I left the running of 220 power and installing the granite to professionals. On the boat I do pay someone to wash it because my time is worth more than that (weekly washdowns for $ 50 per month). But other jobs I try to do myself. Recent ones include replacing the treads on my boarding ladder and rigging new lifelines.

Mike
Old 08-21-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Doing "it" yourself or not? I simply mix the parts of time, money, tools, and skills I have in the currently available proportions. If the recipe doesn't look like it will result in a good batch of cookies, I call an expert.
Old 09-27-2011
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
With the exception of sails, partner and I can tackle the rest. I started in woodworking on boats in the late 60's and early seventies when I could actually afford to buy Teak or Honduras.....and most boats really were wood.
Old 09-29-2011

Fiasco1 is on a distinguished road
Exactly if a man made it a man can fix it is my motto. So i give most things a go have to keep the boat bucks to a minimum. FOR ALL THE TOYS...
Old 02-08-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road
Yes, I am a DIY guy. I have always wanted to cruise further than my local cruising grounds, Gulf Coast Florida, but I had a limited knowledge base about boat repair. One of the things I did to educated myself was to work in a boat building business for a year. This has given me the confidence and skills I needed to repair fiberglass, engine and electrical systems. I want to travel to places where there may be no repair facilities available or insure that repair issues can be kept within a reasonable cruising budget.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-08-2012

I figure that doing it myself has saved me over $15,000 in the last couple of years, add another $5000 to that if you include seeking out and installing equipment.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.