SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Are you a do-it-yourselfer?

• Yes

Votes: 603 96.6%
  • No

Votes: 22 3.5%

36K views 147 replies 104 participants last post by  roverhi 
#1 ·

#115 ·
Anything I don't do it's just because I haven't got around to learning how....what burns me up is when someone says, in reference to some big woodworking job or rigging or some other such thing, "Your lucky you have the skills"....they are not skills I acquired over a live time as a "professional" but they are all skills I taught myself....people in this culture don't do for them selves any more and end up helpless...in the mercy of a powerful advertising industry that makes people think they have to buy new or have a technician fix it for them.

#123 ·
I too do what ever I can, sometimes asking friends for help. I am not afraid to try new things and find a lot of topics are covered on YouTube. The things I know I can't get, I call in a professional.

Tod

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#124 ·
You bet. Got started as a kid fixing my bike, graduated to cars and motorcycles, built tons of model cars and planes, built and flew gas models, learned knots and splicing from my dad, learned how to take care of myself in the woods thru boy scouts and in the water thru the red cross. Learned morse code and how to use a map and compass in scouts, went thru aeronautics ground school and the US Power Squadrons class while in high school and then went to the CA Maritime Academy. Learned a lot about boats there. Went back to school and became a veterinary technician for several yrs, got certified as a Master Goat Farmer, managed a herd of up to 400 goats at Oregon's largest (at the time) grade A goat dairy. Installed car stereos, CB radios and got a Amateur Radio license. Went back to school and became a computer technician for a few years. Worked in a couple door shops along the way and picked up some woodworking skills, not to mention enough scrap wood to build a bunch of boats. Mucked my own stalls when I had horses too. There's always something I can't do myself, then I go looking for the more experienced person and become a more experienced person myself.

#127 ·
I'm also a serious thrift store shopper. Bought a nice 2' cube dorm fridge and an almost new microwave at the local goodwill for a total of $32. Both work great, just need to build them into the boat now. And fix my A/C panel. Got a very nice double paddle for my kayak for $7 too.

#128 ·
Invented the term'upcycle '40 years ago while repurposing old buildings fine wood into my project. Masts and spars out of the forest, Teak blocks from a dumpster table. Actually bought sails ,ropes and engine but all else built with loving care from repurposed stuff. I still go to 'you tube thane sail past' to remind me . Arrgh.

#131 ·
Doing things for yourself has certainly become a lot less intimidating in this age of mobile devices, easy video access (YouTube ) and fast-response blog sites! Accomplishing things of my own accord brings tremendous satisfaction as well increases the margin of safety should I ever require the skill with no one available to help.

#135 ·
A do it yourselfer and perfectionist. If I am unfamiliar with a task I will research it, get the service manual for the item in question then get the equipment and tools to do the job. Never do anything to good enough, make sure it's done right, including breaking it :).

#138 ·
For sure! About to tackle a hard dodger for my Pearson 31. I want to use something called FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Panelling). Looks pretty easy to work with and have find some other people who have documented their work with FRP for a dodger.

This is a good start to figuring out this project:
http://www.cruisingworld.com/homemade-hardtop?image=0

Thanks,
Jordan Snyder
s/v Base Camp
www.findingjordan.com

#139 ·
For sure! About to tackle a hard dodger for my Pearson 31. I want to use something called FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Panelling). Looks pretty easy to work with and have find some other people who have documented their work with FRP for a dodger.

This is a good start to figuring out this project:
Homemade Hardtop | Cruising World

Thanks,
Jordan Snyder
s/v Base Camp
Finding Jordan - Home
Never heard of FRP... But that sounds awesome! Thanks.. I'm going to check it out....

#140 ·
FRP is tough stuff, but only as tough as what you apply it to. Just an FYI...

We used it to line the sheetrock walls of our dog room (as the dogs jump on the walls playing around and we wanted them, the dogs and the walls, protected)... it takes the abuse well (many vets use it in their waiting rooms), and is quite tough, but a sheet of it has almost not strength at all against impact (kind of like any paneling), and it gets more brittle the colder the temps. Not sure how well it'd work in a rigid dodger configuration. Lots of reinforcement I imagine to prevent it from bending much. I'd actually not apply it to bare studded walls, but instead over sheetrock, if that is any indication.

Also the best things to use to cut curves of it are a roto-zip tool, or a dremel with a reinforced cutoff wheel. Blind rivets I imagine are your friend with them with large head washers (as the gelcoat splinters/cracks when you apply too much pressure to the surface).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.