SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Are you a do-it-yourselfer?

• Yes

Votes: 603 96.6%
  • No

Votes: 22 3.5%

36K views 147 replies 104 participants last post by  roverhi 
#1 ·

#2 ·
Short of anything requiring special tools, I pretty much do everything on the boat myself. I will pay to have something I'm unfamilar with done the first time as a learning experience though.

#14 · (Edited)
Could not say it better....other then some jobs Iv watched Iv wanted to tell them how to do it..:rolleyes:

Edit: a special tool to me is one I cant afford....or one I cant lift...

#3 ·
I normally choose to perform most repair, upgrade and maintenance tasks on my boats. There are two guidelines I follow when deciding to do the work myself or hire a pro instead:

• The job requires a high degree of skills or tools which I don't possess, or have the initiative to learn or obtain.
  • The task is so nasty and grungy, it's better suited to get done by a boatyard grunt.

#4 ·
That's a definite yes. It's largely by necessity, living here in the Land of MakeDoo...but it's my inclination anyway. And I will buy special tools, if I think there is a chance I will ever use them again. I will rent them if not. I would rather learn something, and end up with the tools than pay somebody else and just end up with the job done. Or maybe done.

Sadly, in most cases I find that the work I do myself is much higher quality than what I can hire. And for the same money, I end up with the tools and knowledge to be more self sufficient.

#31 ·
Sadly, in most cases I find that the work I do myself is much higher quality than what I can hire. And for the same money, I end up with the tools and knowledge to be more self sufficient.
Well stated! This is us too, other than installing our new Yanmar 3 years ago.

#5 ·
Yes, No, Maybe.....

I think I am the same as most other folks here. Normal routine stuff I will do such as oil, fuel filter, water pump impeller changes, rebed stuff, painting, rewire, etc. But....

1) anything that requires skill/experience or if done wrong will add negative value to the boat, or
2) requires special tools or several hands to accomplish, or
3) Fuel tank cleaning, hull scraping, etc. (Mike Rowe type of jobs)

I won't do.

The goal is to optimize sailing time versus fix time. If paying someone will get me more sailing time and is not too costly, I will consider it.

DrB

#7 ·
We do pretty much everything ourselves, and over the years have rebuilt engines, repainted top to bottom (including a rig), modified interiors, and added/installed any new purchases with a few exceptions.

Things I'd tend to leave to the pros:

Rigging work unless it's a simple stay/shroud replacement (which I'd get professionally made up)

Canvas work other than simple covers

I probably wouldn't tackle a transmission rebuild.

Maintaining and doing as much work on your own boat is, to my mind, a large part of the enjoyment of it all, with the added bonus that when things inevitably to wrong somewhere, you're familiar enough with things to deal with it yourself.

#8 ·
Belonging to a club, they have to handle all maintenance. But I've turned my own wrenches on my cars for many years now. I've also helped boat-owner friends with their maintenance.

There's a certain sense of pride you get when you do it yourself (along with a fatter wallet, except when you break more stuff than you fix [g])

#16 ·
I do everything myself except canvas and sails. Had the bottom of the new (to me) boat painted after survey though...

I hope I'm smart enough to know when to get help when I need it.

This is the only way I can afford a boat of this size. I wonder if I would keep doing it myself if I could afford not to...

I'm getting old enough now that I'm pretty sore the next day after working on the boat, which always seems to involve awkward reaches in tight locations...

My present boat is 30'... Is it easier to work on larger ones?

#17 ·
No... just more of it...:p

#19 ·
David,

You need to quit drinking those buds or equal tween the tasks at hand, then you would be a bit smaller to get in the tight spots. Simple task.......yeah right!!!! Thats what they all say.

some stuff do myself, others wife says, too dangerous, ie going up a mast, altho it is kinda phun up there untill the legs lose there circulation...........

have not done bottom work, altho may in sept to try and fare the bottom a bit, to gain an advantage on the course, or should I say, catch up to the really fast boats......sails, they can make. Bimini's.....what is one of those, one of them slow you boat down thingy's on the cabin top?

I did redo the whole interior but new cushions. Varnishing, vinyl etc did myself. Waxing, etc to the decks, no biggy, new hardware etc easy enough.

Not sure if I am a yes or no or what should be added to question it depends! not disCUSSing the diaper version either. so that is my answer, take it or leave it, it depends.....not yes or no!

Marty

#21 ·
I did redo the whole interior but new cushions. Varnishing, vinyl etc did myself. Waxing, etc to the decks, no biggy, new hardware etc easy enough.

Marty
You did a good job Marty... but you forget the reasons for bimimis - to add solar power to a grill you do not yet have attached to your stern which may help your phrf rating with the additional weight but additional hot nutrition to the crew :):D:D

#22 ·
Oh yeah, forgot about the grill....... now would the grill help when some crewmember named "pirate jody" is on the bow watching for other boats helping to offset his bulk so I do not get a lot of weather helm due to the load on the bow:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D

Marty

ps,
Thank you for the compliments on the interior, about 120-160 hrs of work!

#24 ·
I will do it all if I could but some things are beyond me, I will ask around and normaly a fellow sailor will lend a hand and is repaid in kind.
If the task is so nasty and grungy, it's better suited to get done by myselas I find the nasty and grungy stuff is easy but costs a lot more.

#26 ·
No thats a masochist..:p

#28 ·
With a few exceptions I do all my own work and it's definitely part of the overall boating experience for me.

Things I pay other peolpe to do:

Diving to clean the hull- I used to do it but this one is really worth paying someone

Rigging work- I pay a rigger for the more complicated rigging calculations and for making up stays and shrouds.

Canvas work- I've tried but only with limited success to do this myself

#29 ·
It depends on how I feel, and how much extra money I have. By trade I work with my hands, so any time I don't have to use my hands is a good day. I've had enough challeges in my life as far as fixing or making things, so I don't often get off repairing things. Sometimes I'll try something new to me, but if I have the money I'll gladly pay someone else for their sweat. :)

#33 · (Edited)
So far I have done everything, from building a new galley, making counter tops, even making teak mouldings from boards. I have scrapped off all the paint on my bottom, epoxy coated it, repaired a rudder. Done fiberglass work. Engine work I am not the best on, But my youngest son is very much the gear head .....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.