SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Sailnet.com Polls (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-com-polls/)
-   -   Approximately how many days a year are you on your boat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-com-polls/42232-approximately-how-many-days-year-you-your-boat.html)

administrator 04-14-2008 07:43 AM

Approximately how many days a year are you on your boat?

Approximately how many days a year are you on your boat?

PBzeer 04-14-2008 08:17 AM

Every day for the past 2 years.

eryka 04-14-2008 11:07 AM

All of them for us, too, minus just a few weeks while replacing the laminate & rebuilding the electrical system. :)

Faster 04-14-2008 12:10 PM

Interesting split so far - we're in the 70 - 85 days/yr range.... but I suspect this poll will have an inherent inaccuracy as inactive boaters (less than 50 group) will be far less likely to vote. Their lack of interest is probably going to include venues such as Sailnet.

Based on observations at various marinas in our area, I'd have to think that many boaters are in the "under 25 days/yr" group.

zz4gta 04-14-2008 12:32 PM

I'm one of the less than 50, but hope to change that this year. Now that I have a boat to sleep on. :)

sgkuhner 04-14-2008 12:40 PM

Normally we have spent over 200 days on the boat since 2001; however, in Feb 2007 I had a total knee replacement so we were not on the boat last winter and this winter we also stayed home to enjoy a new granddaughter (our first grandchild). Hopefully we will be back on the boat full time this coming August.

TrueBlue 04-14-2008 12:46 PM

This season we will be our first without a big boat within the past 14 years. But, among the past 3 boats we've kept at our marina, we literally lived on the Nauticat during season - sleeping aboard at least 5 days a week for 5 months, averaging 3 nights/week on the hook. That put us in the 150-199 category.

petegingras 04-14-2008 03:24 PM

in New England, i find it hard to justify being away from the boat during the months of April-September. But within reason, for the grass grows at mi casa, and the lien holder at the house requires "general up keep" and that means mow the lawn once a month even if it doesn't need it.

DrB 04-14-2008 03:37 PM

You'll be hard pressed to find many New Englanders..

On their boat more than 50 days if they have M-F jobs. I am pretty much on my boat every weekend both days. If one get's their boat in the water in early May and pull it late October, there are about 25 weeks in bewteen. May 1 to Nov 1 is the season up here.

We bought our boat at the end of June last year in the water, got three sails on it before we went to Europe for weeks and had the boat pulled in early October. Even so, I still got 20 sails in and when I commented to other folks, they said that was a huge amount. Many only got out a handful of times (under 10) here if their weekend sailors.

My cousin is in the Chesapeake and he has a about a month longer season and he still may only get out 50 times a year.

DrB

TrueBlue 04-14-2008 03:41 PM

I guess we were the exception to that N.E. observation, since our house is only 5 minutes from the marina and my office, 15 minutes away. It's easy to commute to work and go home on occasion. Once home though, we looked at each other and asked - "what the heck are we doing here"?