SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Sailnet.com Polls (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-com-polls/)
-   -   Remove petition from the bottom of the page! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-com-polls/43746-remove-petition-bottom-page.html)

bestfriend 06-01-2008 10:51 PM

Remove petition from the bottom of the page!

Well, I for one, have had enough of the administrative marketing polls. So heres one that really matters. Its about how painfully slow this site has become because of the "Support Equal Rights for Liveaboard boaters" petition at the bottom of every single page. Enough is enough. Get the thing off every page! I don't even want to log on here anymore because it is a pain. I would rather not have to do a work around. Who's with me?!?

L02314564 06-01-2008 11:39 PM

I just spent 45 seconds waiting for the page to load. It has been this way all day. Each time I look at another page, it takes another 45 seconds to load it. I didn't realize the petition at the bottom of the page was the reason for the delay? If it is the cause, then maybe it should be moved to the main page or to its own thread.

PBzeer 06-01-2008 11:41 PM

I agree. It really makes the site load slowly. On the opening page is one thing, but I don't think it's necessary to have it on every page.

Classic30 06-02-2008 12:00 AM

Remove the YouChoose widget?? :eek: You mean it's possible to do that?? :eek: :eek:

I know it helps you people in America, but it does nothing for the rest of us - except slow the pages down. :(

Please.. Please..Please..Please..Please.. PLEASE, Mr Administrator, can you

PLEEEEZE!! (grovel, grovel, grovel..)

..get rid of this para-site on a wonderful site!!! :D :D :D :D

uspirate 06-02-2008 12:01 AM

while its a bit annoying just keep your fingers crossed that its voted "yes"

Classic30 06-02-2008 12:10 AM

A "bit annoying", the guy says.. Now that's an understatement! :)

...although I have noticed that you can reply to messages without having the page ever fully load... that would annoy the legitimate advertisers if ever they found out. Shhhh!!

uspirate 06-02-2008 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 322930)
A "bit annoying", the guy says.. Now that's an understatement! :)

Hartley, it may be annoying but it's a serious problem for us U.S. boaters. litigation and such. if it were happening to you down under, you would want our support as well.

Classic30 06-02-2008 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uspirate (Post 322938)
Hartley, it may be annoying but it's a serious problem for us U.S. boaters. litigation and such. if it were happening to you down under, you would want our support as well.

USP, whilst I sympathise completely with the plight of live-aboards in the US, would totally oppose any increasing regulation here, and have no desire to go over old ground, my gripe is against YouChoose and this method of getting signatures - not the issues you describe.

Who are they anyway? A political lobby group? If not, are they really going to help your situation? If so, how do they plan to help?? Or are they just scamming emails for some nefarious purpose?!?

I don't know the anwers to any of those questions, but I do know that their bloody widget slows down loading of every page on Sailnet. If it does actually help your situation, surely it can be moved to the front page of the forums - no?? :(

Thank you for your understanding. :)

artbyjody 06-02-2008 09:56 AM

I usually get two of those polls per page, and certain spamware protections do not necessarily allow the hack to prevent them from showing up. It should be a simple static ad and not a whole page embedded into a ad spot. I vote a resounding yes to remove the annoying ad from every page - unless it is a simple graphic like all other advertisers have. There is no point in embedding a page within a page - especially for an ad that really has no relevance to anything related to this forum....

T37Chef 06-02-2008 09:59 AM

Why is it still there?