SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Would you offer a 15 minute tour to a stranger who wanted to see your boat?

Will you offer tours to strangers

5K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  FSMike 
#1 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Would e glad to, If I had talk to them before and had an idea of what they were looking for or I had seen them on another boat or some thing . But not for some one that just walked up.

#8 ·
I've given tours before and expect I will again. But only if they seem to be interested folks that make a good first impression and I'm in the mood to be a gracious host. If I'm in the middle of something...probably not. I wouldn't signup for a "Boat Tour" though, did that once with our home for a community "House Tour" and while it was a great success for the charity, 200 people trappsing through sure leave a lot of footprints.

#9 ·
Since my boat is on the hard, 30 miles from the nearest salt water. I wouldn't have thought I would have any unexpected visitors, and I haven't. Except for one. The young fellow was very polite and very inquisitive. As I spoke with him I recognized the same ambitions and desire to be on the sea that captured us so long ago. The time as we spent talking may have been lost to others, but it was I who was enriched.I asked nothing in return, and thanked him for dropping by. A few days later a gift was left under the keel, a large bundle of black walnut. It will make a beautiful accent for our new chart and dining tables. Thank you stranger.

#10 ·
My boat is sitting on it's trailer in the side yard of the house.

I've already given more than a dozen "tours" (if you can call it a tour to climb down into a 25 foot boat on a trailer and duck a LOT).

No one brought wine...:(

#15 ·
Always happy to let anyone interested have a look when I,v tidied up, :D tho tour is hardly the term for looking round a 26 ft Centaur.
Often happens when I cruise along the Irish coast and someone sees a different boat in their harbour.:)
Was even tempted to press gang a fab mum once but the her son was just too boisterous.:laugher

Safe sailing
Saol fada chugat, pirate queen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.