SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How far are you from your sailboat?

• 0 minutes, I live aboard

Votes: 59 10.0%
  • 1 to 14 minutes

Votes: 178 30.1%
  • 15 to 29 minutes

Votes: 83 14.0%
  • 30 to 44 minutes

Votes: 59 10.0%
  • 45 to 59 minutes

Votes: 52 8.8%
  • 60 to 74 minutes (just over an hour)

Votes: 42 7.1%
  • 75 to 89 minutes (just over an hour and 15 minutes)

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • 90 to 104 minutes (just over an hour and 30 minutes)

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • 105 to 119 minutes (just over an hour and 45 minutes)

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • 2 hours or more

Votes: 87 14.7%

How far are you from your sailboat?

28K views 127 replies 97 participants last post by  ianjoub 
#1 ·
This is a older thread that deserves to be a Sailnet poll.

IMHO this is best measured in the time it takes to get to your boat, since traffic and mode of transportation vary widely. If you have to row out to your boat, count that time to. So it's door-to-door, or door-to-hatch if you prefer.

If you move her (as I do in the winter), use the average distance.

Reactions: amatore
#6 ·
Yeah, Im an hour and 20 minutes away. Kinda sad but when I get there I cant just come home real quick for something.

Or if the weather gets to bad you pretty much have to ride it out. My girlfriend wanted to come home one night when our boat and many others people boats were snapping dock lines throughout the night at the marina. It gets bad when the wind blows from a certain direction and it sure was that night.

It was around when I first got the boat and I hadn't spent many nights aboard yet so it quite scary/exciting. I really liked going on deck when it was getting bad for some reason......

#9 ·
Wow, the less-than-15-minute crowd is "winning" this poll.

#47 · (Edited)
Of course! Why bother responding if you can't brag it up a bit?:)

Durihg the too long winter season Drift lives in a bow shed in the yard where it's a 1 minute walk to sand, paint, varnish or just breath in her wonderful smell.

She lives in a cove 1/2 mile from the house when she's in the water. Maybe 10 minutes max if I have to wait at the ramp to launch the dink.

The down side is it's a 7 mile motor down a tidal river to get to open ocean.

Bugger!:(

#10 ·
Commack to Northport :cool: and to think i allmost put the boat in greenport again :eek: Now i am able to use it as many as 4 times a week because the drive is so short :D

Now the launch ride can be LONG at times as i am over 1/2 mile out from Seymour's

#19 ·
Commack to Northport :cool: and to think i allmost put the boat in greenport again :eek: Now i am able to use it as many as 4 times a week because the drive is so short :D

Now the launch ride can be LONG at times as i am over 1/2 mile out from Seymour's
seymours launches drive fast always throwing there wakes at everyone where are you located? your lucky takes me 30min+ to get outta northport were farther back than Brittania lots of fun!!!!!!! see ya out there BTW 3 min walk to dock an if the dinghy likes me shell start in a couple pulls =)

#13 ·
Used to be 45 min on a good day, 3 hrs when there was a wicked wreck that I did not know about on the interstate, now 10-15 depending upon traffic.

Much, much more use when it is close at hand to use! I'm at the boat more in a month than I was the first year we owned her!

Marty

#16 ·
Maybe the poll should have included another option: "am jealous of everyone who is minutes from their boat" !!

#21 ·
When the boat is on the hard at St Kilda Marina, it's about 45 minutes for us - but since the tail end of our boat is the first thing the west wind hits when it screams across the Bay, I worry about it all the time!

When it's parked at home in the shed I can sleep at night, but it's an hour or more to the water. Can't win really... :rolleyes: :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.