Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Sailnet Polls > Sailnet.com Polls
 Not a Member? 

Sailnet.com Polls Participate in our weekly surveys to help us better understand who the members of the community are and what you're interested in. NEW!

View Poll Results: How many cruise with a TV aboard?
Liveaboard: with TV 44 15.83%
Liveaboard: want TV 2 0.72%
Liveaboard: not on my boat 23 8.27%
Coastal Cruiser: with TV 74 26.62%
Coastal Cruiser: want TV 19 6.83%
Coastal Cruiser: no way TV 77 27.70%
Racer/Day sailor: are you kidding? 39 14.03%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
i use my computer and some software w/a hd antenna... dont get many stations, but enough to check in with the world. also makes a good dvd player too

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I sail to disconnect from society, not to drag it along with me. The cell phone is off and in a drawer and the VHF is set to Ch 13. The only media I am willing to tolerate on the boat are books and perhaps a little music.

E-books are finally approaching the point of reliability, versatility and very low power consumption to make them attractive to have on the boat vs. the bulk of paper books. With the Kindle you can buy books, newspapers and magazines online, through the book itself without the hassle of a laptop.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-04-2010

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
we have a nice little flat screen in the vberth, with a tiny dvd player. There is cable (comes with the internet) and is hooked up, but virtually never watched. We use it to curl up with a good movie on cold nights. ANd of course, only in the marina. On the hook it would drain the bank dry in nano seconds!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 04-04-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
We like to spent lots of time on the boat, as much as we can, weeks at a time if possible (so far only pulled off a couple months in a row) so we have radios (shortwave, am, fm, vhf ect) computers and a flat screen which is also a TV. We rarely get a signal but we are at a new marina so I'll put up the antenna and see what we get. The flat screen is most often used as a monitor screen so we can watch movies and TV shows downloaded.

We travel internationally and find it a real pain not being able to watch HULU outside the US or other stations inside the US.

The big screen is also good for watching DIY videos and I find that it comes in handy with boat stuff. Captain Ron is often referred to when we have sailing questions. Like why do diesels like their oil? Captn Ron has the answer! Where will things go wrong? Captn Ron has the answer.

Cheech and Chong is always a good reference for easy border crosssings...

Movies and other videos look much better on the larger screen, wouldn't sail without one.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 04-16-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
We have 2 TVs on a 33' boat. We watch movies and TV shows from an hard drive instead of standard TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
No TV on the boat, though we have the laptop with bluray drive if we want to watch our Netflix on the boat. We upgraded our cable at home to HD recently. When the sales person on the phone asked how many TVs we had in the house to determine how many boxes we needed, she went completely silent when we said "one." She then told us that most people have at least three or four, and the day before she had spoken with a customer who had 20! We did away with the tv in the bedroom years ago and haven't looked back or regretted it a bit. Don't get me wrong, we like TV and watch a fair share, but there is a time and place for everything IMHO.
Old 04-07-2011

GraceOmallyPirateQueen is on a distinguished road
TV? Got to be kidding. Sailing is getting away from it all, enjoying time with friends, and feeling the breath of the divine through my hair!
Old 04-07-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
We have a small flat screen TV with DVD and Cassett players in an "Entertainment Center" in the Salon (see below). While on a cruise we often enjoy watching a movie in the evening (the "Movie Hour"). The girls make popcorn and my daughter will often invite any other kids that happen to be in the anchorage over as well (we've had as many as 10!). Frankly, there is nothing quite so enjoyable as listening to the "girls" laughing away although I personally don't have the patience for it.

I have also found that during a rough passage, letting the girls shelter below and watch a silly movie helps them keep their minds off otherwise worrisome weather.

FWIW...
Attached Thumbnails
How many sail with a TV aboard?-salon-2-2.jpg   How many sail with a TV aboard?-salon-3-2.jpg  
Andrew65 likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-07-2011
Liveaboard in Florida

PopeyeGordon is on a distinguished road
New uses for LED backlit TV's - underwater video monitor and more

Continued advances on performance and features of flat panel LCD tv's give them amazingly low power consumption and versatility.

A 32 inch Samsung flat panel LED backlit tv uses only 42 watts at a medium brightness setting and it is only an inch thick. Lighter in weight as well. The same size screen with CCFL backlighting uses close to 200 watts. HUGE difference!

Features that were once rare are now ubiquitous. Slots to plug in your digital camera memory cards. Computer monitor inputs. A new feature of many laptops now, besides LED backlighting, is HDMI cable outputs and most TV's have HDMI inputs.

Consider this use for your TV: strap an underwater color video camera to the front of your keel. Watch 'fish tv' for hours without seeing commercials. These cameras have come down in price and increased in performance, like most electronics. They even have infrared lighting for night use. Stop dreaming about forward looking sonar and use your camera to watch for those coral heads(clear waters only).

While laptops can do a lot with video, a larger screen size is more suited to showing your photo collection without everyone huddling around the small screen.

I have not researched as to the availablilty of 12 volt tv with LED backlights but this would be great to avoid the use of an inverter especially when paired with a 12 volt DVD player.
Old 04-08-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
With apologies to the many purists, I have to say that "Movie Night" is a favorite event aboard Deja Vu. After a day of sailing, my friends and I either barbecue or hit the Cheesecake Factory a short walk from the boat. Then it's back to the boat for snacks & a movie. Good times.

Mike