Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Sailnet Polls > Sailnet.com Polls
 Not a Member? 

Sailnet.com Polls Participate in our weekly surveys to help us better understand who the members of the community are and what you're interested in. NEW!

View Poll Results: What is your recommendation for generator etiquette?
Live and let live - create current whenever you need it! 18 11.32%
Generate only well outside the smell and earshot of others. 36 22.64%
Quietly and off by bedtime is OK, even in a shared anchorage. 79 49.69%
Those things are a blight - I go sailing to put that behind me! 26 16.35%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Generator Etiquette

Regardless of whether or not you own or use a generator - what is your opinion (if any) on the correct use of a generator in proximity to other boats?

I just spent an otherwise lovely evening in the anchorage by Gibson Island off the Magothy River (Chesapeake Bay) to the all night accompaniment of a generator run from a SeaRay 30-yards away. Seemed "tacky" to me, but what do I know?

Maybe a good Sailnet poll will help resolve "proper" etiquette.

Wayne
helenwiley likes this.

Last edited by wwilson; 07-19-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Everybody should know what is considerate, and what is not....pretty simple......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Everybody should know what is considerate, and what is not....pretty simple......i2f
It would be well if everyone did - but it is unfortunately clear that they don't, or more likely all have a different idea of what is considerate. The poll may help with a general definition... but only if you vote.
Old 07-19-2009

fpr is on a distinguished road
When we were cruising, we anchored far away from other boats for peace, quiet and privacy.
I did not want any crap from a sea ray....

I set up the gen-set, on my Cal 46, for no noise....double motor mounts to kill any vibration, 2 mufflers -1 water lift and 1 regular and oversized water outlet at water level, next to the AC outlet to stop the 'gurgle'....

The only way someone off the boat would know it was running was to dink near the water outlet.

I had to have 110v or the family would not go cruising....

I don't understand why someone who has 'enuf money to buy a big Sea Ray wouldn't demand a quiet generator.

Some of the gen-sets in RV's are amazing not a decible....

If someone had a noisy generator, I would grab my kids and dink over to ask what the schedule was for the gen noise.
Kids need sleep....

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

fred
Old 09-02-2009

bheintz is on a distinguished road
To a sailor a generator is noisy, to a power boater a generator IS quite.
Old 09-02-2009

sck5 is on a distinguished road
If they are hiding inside in air conditioning then maybe they have no clue how loud it is outside. Or maybe they dont care. Clueless would seem to cover it.
Old 09-02-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We run our generator whenever we want, but when I purchased it I got a wet/dry separator for it. As a result, only gasses come out from above the water and the cooling water comes out below the waterline. Soooo... we don't have the noise level a lot of other people have when we run it. You can hear it close up, but it's hard to tell it's running about 30-40ft away.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 09-02-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I think the fairest option would be to adopt the same first-come-first-serve mentality as in anchoring: if you're the first one to an anchorage, do what you like. But if you come to an anchorage with other silent boats in it, do as they do, or go find a noisy boat to berth next to, or berth someplace else entirely. Basically, don't force people to endure conditions that they didn't implicitly agree to endure by anchoring near you. On the flip side of the coin, if you want quiet and you come to an anchorage with other boats' generators a-gurgling, find someplace else to spend the night.

So you know personally I would have voted for both "Live and let live" and "They're a blight," because just because I have an opinion about generators doesn't mean I can demand others share it.

Last edited by AdamLein; 09-02-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: personally...
Old 09-03-2009

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
I think that the portable generators used on deck are a problem, but I don't often hear anything from gensets installed below.

On my boat, I have a genset in the engine room, which is dead center in the boat under the cockpit (center cockpit boat). Its loud below decks, but not from outside unless you get near the exhaust and hear the splash.

We generally only run it to charge and when it would be convenient to have AC power for some reason. The inverter does OK for most of those.

On our trip to the Bahamas, we found that an hour in the morning and and hour in the afternoon took care of the charging. We generally did this when we were cooking. This allowed us to freely use the microwave/convection oven and to run the Air Conditioning if the heat was building up in the cabin from cooking.

I wouldn't go cruising without one, but I am not a purist. I do like my quiet anchorages and try to respect that others may feel the same.
Old 09-18-2009
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bheintz View Post
To a sailor a generator is noisy, to a power boater a generator IS quite.
I am a crossover.. I have been a power boat guy for a long time and am only now moving to sailing. Yes, its true to power boat people a gen set is quiet and cheep. I tend to have a bit more respect than others of my former....
I have a small boat "29'" so there is little to no room for a real gen set but i did buy a Honda EU1000. which you have to damn near sit on to hear. I use it to charge batts and off it goes.
I enjoy the peace and quiet but i also know i sail in an area where is is some times 90 degrees at night in high humidity and if it was my wife or kids "if i had any" cooking then no one sleeps and i under stand a person running a gen at night.
You never know why people are doing what they are till you ask, hell they may not know " no night time gen sets".