Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Sailnet Polls > Sailnet.com Polls
 Not a Member? 

Sailnet.com Polls Participate in our weekly surveys to help us better understand who the members of the community are and what you're interested in. NEW!

View Poll Results: Boat buying assistance: willing to volunteer to inspect boats for sale in your area?
Yes, I'll help, do the page 123 67.96%
I can't help, but it's a good idea 3 1.66%
Not a good idea 55 30.39%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Just top by some internet cafe or web bar, buy some geek some drinks and dragoon 'em. In the best of nautical tradition.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Not that energetic. Aside from the fact I'm not a habitue of either venue. If someone wants to write it out and send it to me, I'll give it a whirl.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-29-2012

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road
Good Idea!

I wish this were around several years ago. It would have saved me 100's of $ for plane tickets just to see that the boat was not what the ad said.

Old 02-29-2012

snider is on a distinguished road
That's a good idea. I've driven from SC as far as St Louis, FL, and NJ to buy boats from online ads. Had someone looked at the NJ boat I wouldn't have bought it, but after driving several hundred miles and talking the price down some I ended up with a boat that I probably should have walked away from. Any one in a few minutes would have spotted the problems, and if they didn't it's still no worse than not having someone look. I guess the only issue is if you don't pursue a boat based on what someone else says, when in fact your opinion would have been different.
Old 02-29-2012

magiccarpet38 is on a distinguished road
Sailormc

I'd be willing to help to a point. The unintended consequences of liability could be risky. Probably be a good idea to establish ground rules to prevent ill-will and bad feelings.
Old 03-01-2012

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccarpet38 View Post
I'd be willing to help to a point. The unintended consequences of liability could be risky. Probably be a good idea to establish ground rules to prevent ill-will and bad feelings.
And to be known as one persons opinion w/o responsibility.

As well, a printed out check list to take along would preserve the memory or could be emailed off to the request person.

Old 03-01-2012

tom3215 is on a distinguished road
I can check out anything in the Wisconsin area probably down to chicago. Always good to get a fresh water boat if you can = ) The only down side is my eyes sees everything and my wife constantly complains I am way to picky !

tom3215
Old 03-01-2012
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
BostonSailor - This is just unpaid assistance, from one member to another (though the requesting member is free to give compensation if they want to). There are no claims of expertise or ability being made. Just a willingness to check out a boat outside the requester's locality, or to go along with them to look at one.

The purpose here is to create an up to date list that is easily accessed, rather than going through the old thread.
Suggest we consider putting folks in touch with reputable brokers and yards we trust. Lots of boats need new owners here in Muskegon, Mich. The yards launched less than half of the wintered boats last year.
Old 03-20-2012

DSneade is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat buying assistance list discussion

Hi John,
I have some experience in web sites, coding database apps, and even using mapping (Google) techniques to put a map page on a web site. I can help with coding if we get that far. I think members could inspects/evaluate an advertised boat to find out it the ad is factual and add a rating system based on a check list. Obviously, such a quick look would not be even close to a formal survey, but could give a prospective buyer an inkling as to when a boat is a possible buy. Glad to help with web site and/or boat evaluations.

Regards,