SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Sailnet.com Polls (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-com-polls/)
-   -   Boat buying assistance list discussion (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-com-polls/84305-boat-buying-assistance-list-discussion.html)

PBzeer 02-25-2012 10:27 AM

Boat buying assistance list discussion

With the recent thread about boat buying assistance,I'm looking at doing up a web page that will include the usernames of any Sailnetters that are willing to offer boat buying assistance. That way, rather than scroll through a thread, the names will be in one place, by area. Here's a preview of the page: Boat Buying Assistance

Members will be listed in each state/province/territory/etc. that they are willing to offer assistance in. Being on the list only means you are willing, if able, to provide assistance. You're under no obligation by having your name on the list.

There's a couple of different ways to go about this. One, I can make your name an e-mail link for contact. Two, just list names, and let them contact you through SN. Or a combination, depending on each users preference. That's one purpose of this thread. The other, is to determine if there are enough members still willing to offer assistance, to bother with it at all.

I won't be asking for names at this point. This is just to see if it's worth the effort.

jrd22 02-25-2012 10:37 AM

John- I have to admit that I didn't even know about the original thread, the first I had heard about it was the recent thread complaining about it.
I would be willing to sign up, with contact being made through PM here on SN.

PBzeer 02-25-2012 10:42 AM

I'm checking to see if they can make a closed sticky in the boat buying forum with the link on it. It's a bit tedious to go through the old list, which is probably out of date anyway. Plus I'll add a contact link on the page for people to add or delete themselves from the list.

jrd22 02-25-2012 11:13 AM

"Plus I'll add a contact link on the page for people to add or delete themselves from the list."
Great idea.

Faster 02-25-2012 11:19 AM

Hey John.. this looks like a great idea, if it's in response to my call for a volunteer then thank you.. if it's not, well, great minds......;)

I will always be willing to help where/when I can.

I'm sure we can create a closed sticky for that purpose, and having an editable site certainly makes the process of keeping it up to date easier.

Thanks again.

PBzeer 02-25-2012 12:47 PM

Yep, was your comment that got me thinking.

Once I find out there's enough interest, I'll start a thread to ask for volunteers.

BostonSailor 02-25-2012 01:05 PM

Love the idea. Are you thinking just member names or would you capture recommendations for local surveyors, engine mechanics, sailmakers, etc?

PBzeer 02-25-2012 01:19 PM

BostonSailor - This is just unpaid assistance, from one member to another (though the requesting member is free to give compensation if they want to). There are no claims of expertise or ability being made. Just a willingness to check out a boat outside the requester's locality, or to go along with them to look at one.

The purpose here is to create an up to date list that is easily accessed, rather than going through the old thread.

hellosailor 02-25-2012 04:43 PM

PB-
Lists are nice, but how about doing a Google Maps overlay, so that each volunteer was a pinprick on the map? That would let folks get a visual on what's where, and clicking on each pinprick should bring up the contact information. It's supposed to be easy to set up something like that. (Yeah, supposed to.)

PBzeer 02-25-2012 05:10 PM

It's a nice idea, but more involved than I want to get hello, I'm just a basic html guy, I'm not up to speed on all the new stuff.