Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TakeFive
  • 1 Post By hellosailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2014

Paul Chetcuti is on a distinguished road
Lewmar portholes leaking

After 16year, rain water is coming in through my lewmar portholes of my moody S38. I am not certain if i need to change the rubber seal, or dismantling the port holes, chalking them and refitting them. Anyone has any suggestion please.
Paul Victoria.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Lewmar portholes leaking

Take some advice from my hatch process...

In my boat, it actually ended up being the gasket material under the attachment for the hatch hinge to the glass on the hatch itself. THis ended being a big drama as the gasket is not sold by itself...you have to order a whole new friction hinge. The reordered friction hinge assembly ($84!!) ended up having gasket material that didn't plug my gap. So, I ended up going to home depot and getting weather stripping material of the appropriate thickness and using an x-acto knife to cut it to shape...$8 including the cost of the x-acto knife. That and a few spare parts for a lewmar friction hinge....grrrr

BTW, did I mention my *EXTREME* dislike for all things Lewmar customer service related? They're awful. If it is gaskets around the perimeter of the hatch/port...I feel sorry for you. Each gasket is like $30-$50.

Last edited by night0wl; 03-21-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to interupt but the friction hinges on those ports ..... is there any way to adjust them ? Some of ours are getting a bit loose.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-21-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Sorry to interupt but the friction hinges on those ports ..... is there any way to adjust them ? Some of ours are getting a bit loose.
Do you mean your ports aren't staying open anymore? IF so, there is an allen bolt/hex bolt that i just tightened up. I'm sure eventually this will wear out and I'll have to put rubber spacers or rubber washers to keep things "tight"...but for now, I just crank down on the allen bolt.
Old 03-21-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Do you mean your ports aren't staying open anymore? IF so, there is an allen bolt/hex bolt that i just tightened up. I'm sure eventually this will wear out and I'll have to put rubber spacers or rubber washers to keep things "tight"...but for now, I just crank down on the allen bolt.
Thanks for the reply and yes that is what I was talking about. I attacked one of them but as I wasn't sure if those hex bolts were there for that purpose i thought I'd ask rather than have one of the damn things shear off.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-21-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chetcuti View Post
After 16year, rain water is coming in through my lewmar portholes of my moody S38. I am not certain if i need to change the rubber seal, or dismantling the port holes, chalking them and refitting them. Anyone has any suggestion please.
Paul Victoria.
Maybe this is obvious, but check the rubber seals for organic matter. I keep mine clean, but I can't tell you how many boats I found when shopping in rainy weather several years ago that had leaks coming through, and I opened and found all sorts of organic decayed matter causing the leaks. Cleaning them eliminated the leaks. (I should have charged the owners for the service.)
Multihullgirl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Paul, you need to confirm where the leak is first. If the seals have gone bad and can't be replaced, try an auto body supply or RV supply to find a similar rubber, they often have quite a variety, more than the hardware stores.

My car trained me: I use ArmorAll regularly on all seals, and the rubber stays way more pliable and doesn't age or crack the way untreated rubber does.
tdw likes this.