Frozen Spartan Brass Seacock & broken handle - SailNet Community
SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By boatpoker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Unhappy Frozen Spartan Brass Seacock & broken handle

OK, I admit it. I went too far and fell into the trap of trying too hard to free up a frozen seacock. In my case I had tried everything else...hammering, tapping, spraying more high power oil, etc. Finally I used my piece of plastic extender tubing and went all out. For one brief minute I thought I had scored, as the handle in the tube began going back and forth ever more freely. Alas I had merely broken off the handle. I believe this spartan is what is called a flange type, as there are bolts. My question is whether, by unscrewing the bolts, I can lift off the top portion without having to completely rebuild the entire fitting and thus leaving everything else intact. The second question pertains to whether, if that is correct, I can replace the spartan seacock top with a compatible seacock using the same bolt holes.
Any other advice will be most welcome. I have the boat (a Sabre 28 with Volvo Penta MD7A Diesel engine) on the market and am trying to keep expenses to a minimum.
And yes, I should have paid closer attention to the various salient and other guides I reviewed before attempting to unfreeze the frozen. I'll attach two photos...the before breakage and the after breakage. That should provide a view of the base.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1333.jpg   IMG_1255 copy.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Dirt Free

Re: Frozen Spartan Brass Seacock & broken handle

That's the most disgusting bilge I've seen since ...... this morning. Suggest you clean it up as it will be a bigger deterrent to a sale than a broken handle.
Attached Thumbnails
bilge.jpg  
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #3 of 5 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I have the same Spartan seacocks on my boat, and I am afraid you are going to have to replace the entire assembly. These seacocks are installed by screwing a mushroom fitting through the hull from the outside into the seacock and then sealing it in place with an appropriate compound. To remove it you will need to unscrew the mushroom which will break the seal. At that point you can get a new seacock from Spartan, or you can buy a more conventional one. You may find the Spartan easier to install because the hole is the right size and you should be able to reuse the mushroom.

At this point the seacock is toast. The barrels are matched to the seacocks, and even if you got it out you would not be able to just replace the barrel. I broke the threads on one of mine on the nut end last summer and Spartan does not sell just the barrels.

I have had these seize on me before, and I was able to get them free by inserting a plug from outside the hull, removing the hose and filling up the body of the seacock with penetrating oil and leaving it for an extended time.

I also notice that you were trying to loosen the seacock without undoing the nuts on the side opposite the handle. Sometimes simply undoing the nut can free these, or make them much easier to free.

Just in case you are not familiar, Spartan sells both a lapping compound and seacock grease, and I recommend disassembling all spartan seacocks, lapping them and lubricating them once a year to avoid this sort of problem in the future. robinhoodmarinecenter.com/seacock-grease/seacock-grease/

post #4 of 5 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
....since ...... this morning.....
Really good one...
post #5 of 5 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I have seacocks that look like that, but I have never got my head down close enough to inspect them. Because of where we live, they do get operated at least twice per year and so far they move freely. But maybe they need more attention???

I found these links that may be helpful to Rofuhu:

Servicing Tapered Cone Seacocks Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_thruhulls

Roduhu: Given the price of a replacement valve, I can see why you might consider replacing the seacock with something different, perhaps less expensive! Unfortunately, the body will not lift off if you remove the nuts. This because it is held in place by the thru-hull. If the bolts were cut off below the flanges, it might be possible to unscrew it. I don't think you want to go there!

Is there any possibility you could buy just a new plug and repair the valve in place? The cone would have to be honed in place. You might ask Spartan if this is feasible.

A less expensive but sound and approved alternative would be to install a Forespar Marelon seacock and thru hull. Buck Algonquin also have a reasonably priced ball type seacocks and thru-hulls.

Otherwise you could do as some boat builders did. Install a bronze thru hull plus a bronze ball valve and barbed tailpiece. Just make sure ball valve has straight NPS thread to match the thru hull . These are hard to find! Groco have a solution that allows use of an NPT ball valve. https://www.groco.net/products/fitti...aptor/ibvf-750

Last edited by FreeAgent; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:42 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.