Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009
whatoo

whatoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to whatoo
Talking forums.,threads, etc, etc.

When we find people don't understand the proper way to do things on-line, like starting a thread that is several years old or not understand tri-sound to depth-sound. How do we handle people that don't think along the lines as most brain-performing people? You know, those people with TBI's from IED's or mortor/arty/rpg.explosions .etc. when they don't communicate well. Shall we set them straight, like the caribbean_seawolf@...yahoo.com did some several years ago, with me? Or shall we try to be patient and understanding with them? Whatever Anyway thank you for your help
Old 01-16-2009

popeyeforearm is on a distinguished road
The rep is nice but there are people that are not even on the forum and are very knowledgeable thus having no rep (I'm just making excuses since I have none).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2009

HermitScott is on a distinguished road
I gotsta get some street cred!
Old 01-19-2009
Super Newb!!

Cothen is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Thanks for the proper SailNet posting etiquette!
Old 02-03-2009

kottokk is on a distinguished road
Hi to all who posted and sound pro in sailing. I am a very ambitious newbie sailor who is in San Diego and planning to get a sailboat for at least 6 people and plan a big totally ambitious sailing plan. How big a boat do I need to safely sail from Fl to Bahams and go Island hopping in cirlcle till I reach Grand Cayman on the other side? Anyone who has made sail in any of these please help??
Old 02-03-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
That's easy, a Carnival or a Royal would be big enough

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 02-24-2009

Keldee is on a distinguished road
Help

I know I am being a bit thick but have searched for the answer to these questions and cannot find them.
What is this rep power business?
What are the green squares underneath?
I am trying to get my husband to participate in the forum,he still thinks computers are a passing fad.Is it ok if we use the same login"Keldee" as that is the name of our boat and then each sign our name at the end of a post?
Ta very much
Ellinor
Old 02-24-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldee View Post
I know I am being a bit thick but have searched for the answer to these questions and cannot find them.
What is this rep power business?
What are the green squares underneath?
I am trying to get my husband to participate in the forum,he still thinks computers are a passing fad.Is it ok if we use the same login"Keldee" as that is the name of our boat and then each sign our name at the end of a post?
Ta very much
Ellinor
The search feature here at Sailnet leaves a little to be desired. Many of us use a google search to find what we need here on sailnet, sounds silly I know but it works.

The rep (reputation) power and green squares seem to be discussed on a fairly regular basis around here. Here's the deal in a nutshell: The rep power number is the product of a mysterious mathematical calculation that involves the amount of time you've been a member on the board, number of posts, and rep points given by other members approving of your posts. The little balance scale at the top right of each post is where you can give rep points to someone for a good post. Rep points are given at the rate of your rep power. Since you have a rep power of 0, you can give someone rep but it won't add to their rep points. The little green squares are simply a meter showing how fast rep points are being accumulated in relation to some other unknown standard. There, that should be clear as mud.

Most people here who have a spouse who also participates get a second screen name for their spouse. It's just nice to know who you are talking to without looking for the name at the bottom, especially if someone forgets to sign it.

BTW, welcome to to Sailnet, and don't mind Poopy - he always has a crappy day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 04-09-2009

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
I notice that I can give comments when I give some one a "rep" ? It also says I have 10 rep points. How do I see who gave these to me and for what? Or is the 10 a default that you start out with? I also have a green square.....
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-09-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you look in your "User CP", you'll see who gave you rep and for what post down at the bottom. I believe you get 10 for signing up and breathing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
I notice that I can give comments when I give some one a "rep" ? It also says I have 10 rep points. How do I see who gave these to me and for what? Or is the 10 a default that you start out with? I also have a green square.....

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.