Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009

rosskowh is on a distinguished road
using 3 anchors as a mooring

i have a 30ft. morgan and would like to set up a mooring using 3 anchors. any suggestions on anchor weight, chain size, ans shackle size?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Anchors are no substitute for proper mooring gear, buy a mushroom or whatever solution is proven in your area and not have to worry about your boat ending up on the beach, or worse.
Old 10-30-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I tried this one summer a long time ago with a 14' flat bottomed day sailor. Worked great until the lines tangled and eventually chafed through. It is rather distressing to come down to your mooring field and see neither boat nor float.
The boat drifted ashore across the harbor about a mile or 2 away and someone pulled it up on shore.
We retrieved it and it was basically fine but this would not have been the case if it was a keel boat.
New mushrooms should cost about $1/# and less for a used one.
Here is a thread about a boat that was left on a single anchor: Well my day really sucked.
I second Sailingfool's advice.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Personally, I'm not convinced that the 3-anchor method is bad, but you end up spending more than if you just went with a properly sized mushroom anchor. That's because each anchor and it's chain of sufficient scope has to hold the boat all alone, and will hold the boat all alone, depending on where the wind is coming from. Then add to the 3 big anchors and 3 chain rodes the cost of shackles and a big swivel and you get a cost greater than using a single mushroom anchor.

I'm still contemplating a 3-BIG-anchor approach and even bought several 100 pound anchors for that purpose a year ago. Looking at the anchors though, I'm not sure I trust them -- Chinese made, and if even only one fails you are in a heap of trouble.

Hope that helps. Unless you are very prepared to make a big beefy strong expensive no-holds-barred 3 anchor approach, go for a mushroom anchor like everyone else does. Just my humble opinion, and my lawyer wants me to add that you should not follow any of my advice since I'm not an expert.

Oh yes, and there are some good books on anchoring out there.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 10-30-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2009

rosskowh is on a distinguished road
thanks for the info everyone, the river bottom is muddy here in charleston and i have also considered a mushroom anchor. i think most people just throw something heavy in the water here but thought 3 anchors would work well and be cost effective if bought used. i have heard stories of mushrooms not setting and dragging which shouldnt be the case, either way the bottom holds from what i have heard...
Old 11-02-2009
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Anchors are a good idea, if they're well over-sized for the bottom type and intended scope. Obviously a proper anchor is a lot better at its job and more efficient on a weight-for-weight basis than a simple mushroom or any dead-weight mooring.

With a lighter mooring spread over three units, they're also much easier to deploy and later recover and move.

The downside of course is cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 11-02-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
What about an auger? They are said to perform very well, tho you will need a large diameter model driven deep if yours is a silty mud. Low materials cost. Placing one underwater is a little tricky -- was it Sailnet that had a slideshow of someone using PVC pipe to drive an auger in?

Still need to spend real money on swivels and chain. But if y'all think augers work well, we might put one in our local lake next spring, before the water level rises. Any ideas how to calculate holding power vs expected loads on an auger?
Old 09-06-2011

Epicurean is on a distinguished road
I just retrieved my anchors after leaving my boat anchored in a river for 4 years with minimal supervision. I had two anchors, one upstream and one down. A Danforth type and a plow, connected to a heavy swivel. After a couple of years the swivel froze and since the swinging wasn't random the chains wound themselves around...and around... and around. I had plenty of scope to start so even at the end it wasn't too short. Just beware that swivels can freeze up.

I should have replaced the swivel but where I am there are none available.
Old 09-06-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurean View Post
I just retrieved my anchors after leaving my boat anchored in a river for 4 years with minimal supervision. I had two anchors, one upstream and one down. A Danforth type and a plow, connected to a heavy swivel. After a couple of years the swivel froze and since the swinging wasn't random the chains wound themselves around...and around... and around. I had plenty of scope to start so even at the end it wasn't too short. Just beware that swivels can freeze up.

I should have replaced the swivel but where I am there are none available.
You got lucky. Moorings need to be look at periodically -- and some towns require a formal inspection, IIRC.

You can buy swivels online, at places like Defender.com.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 09-11-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
There's a great article in "Chapman" on precisely this same subject.
Dick

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.