SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   are there jobs near the marinas? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/60420-there-jobs-near-marinas.html)

traviswantsaboat 12-08-2009 10:07 PM

are there jobs near the marinas?

I am 14 years old and i work really hard in school. the only problem was that i didnt know what i was working for. then i found BOATS. what i want to do is to buy a sailboat and live on it. i do want to know if there are any jobs close to the marinas or are the marinas close the the cities?

davidpm 12-08-2009 10:21 PM

Welcome Travis.
You will find marinas just about anyplace that has water suitable for sailing.
This is a list Marinas.com, World's Marinas Portal, and Marina Directory.

Yes many marinas are near or in cities. I live in Madison, CT on Long Island Sound about two hours from NYC. We have probably 20 marinas with in a hours drive. I really should count them some time.

When you are old enough to get a job their is no reason you can't get one near enough to a marina so you can have a boat.
The challenge is finding a marina that will let you live on the boat. But there are a few. I know of only one in my neighborhood.

leland515 12-10-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traviswantsaboat (Post 549265)
I am 14 years old and i work really hard in school. the only problem was that i didnt know what i was working for. then i found BOATS. what i want to do is to buy a sailboat and live on it. i do want to know if there are any jobs close to the marinas or are the marinas close the the cities?

Hey- your dream is doable.
At 14 I became interested in boats, and joined a local yacht club.
Now at 15, I own my own San Juan 21, and work at the club taking care of their boats.
Don't just buy a boat to sleep at the dock ;)

traviswantsaboat 12-11-2009 01:02 PM

thanks yall. i have an aunt and an uncle that took off work for a couple years and took my 3 year old cousin down to the carribean. they said it was the happiest time of their lives. the only reason id be at the dock is during the week because id kinda have to have a job.

ottos 12-11-2009 02:09 PM

Travis - tell us where you live. People on this board come from all over the world. They can generally point you in the right direction.

Depending what you want to do for a living, there's plenty of work in places where you can sail.

tager 12-11-2009 02:19 PM

I live on a sailboat, and I am an undergrad, so it is possible to go to college instead of getting a workaday job. There are bound to be jobs near most marinas. Even if you are just washing windows, you can make a living. The cost of living on a sailboat can be a lot lower than renting an apartment, if you work wisely with your money.

traviswantsaboat 12-13-2009 03:50 PM

i live in college station texas. home of the fightin texas a&m aggies. about an hour and a half to houston.

chall03 12-17-2009 09:31 PM

What alot of people try and do Travis, is work for a period of time to save money, then stop working and go sailing for as long as they are able!
If you want to travel far and wide then the problem is that it is obviously quite hard to maintain a job while doing it...

There is no one right answer, we all basically do what works for us depending on our dreams and circumstances...

Personally I am working hard and saving money so that I can then basically stop working for hopefully a couple of years and live and sail on a boat without having to worry about work at all :)

NICHOLSON58 12-30-2009 11:56 AM

All good advice. You could also consider a plan where you sail - race with a crew and get lots of experience. You will learn a lot about different boats, people and conditions. (Note; on the people thing, don't waste time on a boat with screamers, shouters or captain Bligh). With increased experience, you could learn to care for and deliver or skipper boats for others. Costs are low, exposure and fun is high, total commitment is low. With enough on-water time, you can also get your USCG captain's license. Good hunting. Here is how we did it.

I sailed small boats from the time I was ten. (505; 470; Prindle Cat; Bucineer; Super Porpoise; Sun fish; Hobie; Laser; MC Scow; Cape Dory 10) Later, after college and just married, I joined a race crew and raced my buns off on big boats all around the Great Lakes until my job took us away after about 25 years. I kept the Dory and Sunfish as my knock-about boats and then added a 20 ft Tornado Cat. At this point, I feel like I could walk onto just about any boat. We are now close to retirement. We rented in the Abacos a few times and love the tropics & Caribbean. We searched for Florida (Naples or so) for a retirement venue but found real estate, taxes, insurance totally impossible. On a whim, I suggested we follow my cousin's lead and live aboard & circumnavigate. She said "find a boat". Six months later we were having a hurricane damaged 58 ft Camper & Nicholson ketch delivered to Grand Rapids, Michigan. The restoration is well under way & after three years, we plan to launch this spring. We will exit the Great Lakes by the St Lawrence. (photos in my gallery http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/.../ppuser/159746 )

eherlihy 12-30-2009 12:41 PM

Sign up & take a look at ActiveCaptain (www.activecaptain.com). It will show you an interactive map with ALL the known marinas, and boating related businesses nearby (if you know of one that is not there, you can add it, and help grow the site).

Looking in College Station Texas I found the TAMU Sailing Club
PO Box 5813
College Station, TX 77844-5813
United States (US)

Give them a call, and ask if they have any opportunities for someone like yourself.

There are a bunch of marine related businesses on Lake Conroe.

- Ed