SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   How hard can it be? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/60491-how-hard-can.html)

Maverick1958 12-12-2009 01:52 PM

How hard can it be?

I have not sailed in years. My experience was with my uncle on his Catalina 27. I understand the basics of sailing, wind, docking, right of way, ect. However everything I have done has been under the supervision of my uncle. Undoubtedly I will put the boat in irons at least once, but really how hard is it to sail. Reading the posts here it looks as if you need to be a rocket scientist to understand sailing and sailing principles. With a little common since can't one simply go out and enjoy sailing or should I take an experienced sailor out the first few times.

Regards

Maverick

MiVelero 12-12-2009 03:37 PM

Hey Maverick...
Don't let them intimidate you:eek: ,
There is a lot of great information and advice to be had from a knowledgable bunch here. Some do make it sound like rocket science but once you get out sailing it will all make sense.
Let go of the lines get out there and just do it... It is easy to sail..

It is those unexpected moments that make it interesting:D

imagine2frolic 12-12-2009 03:46 PM

It isn't rocket science, but you will be surprised how many knuckle heads get hurt, and seriously. Common sense, and some basic knowledge, and some will survive. Those with no common sense get broken ribs, hands, swollen noggins. It's not difficult, but over 30 years of sailing, and I have seen some real disasters.........i2f

2Gringos 12-12-2009 04:23 PM

Its not hard to do.
Its a little harder to do really well.

CharlieCobra 12-12-2009 06:13 PM

I read "Sail Trim" and went out and did it. After a few times, I was running off from people so it ain't that hard.

Stillraining 12-12-2009 06:22 PM

I never read anything and almost docked under sail the very first time out and very first time even on a blow boat..would have made the slip if it wasnt for miscommunication on my girl friends part dropping the sail to the deck.

Pick a calm day and go for it.

Hey charlie check your email.

inthesprings 12-12-2009 09:13 PM

Easy enough to do, hard to master. I took some lessons on snarks and minifish one summer when I was a kid then had a long hiatus until two years ago when my wife and I bought a C&C 24 and went for it. I read the KISS book on sailing to bone up and we were sailing. I bet you'll be fine just going on and enjoying it, but you'll end up wanting to take out an experienced person to tell you what everything is for. There's certainly a lot of jargon, but everythings got a name and it would get confusing if you just called them all "thingys". If your pensive, just start with the main but go for it!

tager 12-12-2009 10:32 PM

Any idiot can sail, but nobody can sail perfectly. That is the beauty of the sport. There is infinite difficulty if you seek it. You could trim sail all day, and you would go faster, but that doesn't mean someone with beat up sails and loose halyards won't get there too.

Tempest 12-12-2009 10:41 PM

Sometimes the best way to learn is to just go out and make your mistakes and figure it out.

Having said that, just exercise some common sense, pick a good weather day...know the rules of the road...

CalebD 12-12-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tager (Post 550420)
Any idiot can sail...

Learning to sail on a small boat like a Sunfish or Laser will give you the idea of what it is all about. Then move up in size and learn the various terms that are sailing specific.
A bigger boat just acts slower unless it is a racing dinghy or small racing hull boat.
It is pretty easy but not any idiot can do it.