Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009

inthesprings is on a distinguished road
Plugging a hole

Firstly, HAPPY NEW YEAR! and I hope everyone has a wonderful 2010 sailing season.

And on to the quesiton...how do I plug up the small (maybe dime sized) hole in my stern? It was for a fish finder I think. It's usually above the water line unless the boat is sailing hard on a port tack or in a following sea, in which case, well, I'm taking on water. Surprisingly (or maybe not) it took me awhile to figure out where the heck the water was getting in from, even though there's a hole in the stern (duh!). I think it was the little cover over the hole that threw me. Anyway, I got the Don Casey Sailboat Maintenance book for christmas which it seems would have me grinding a big beveled (12:1) depression around the hole and laying it up with epoxy and cloth. Can't to that from inside the hull because it's in a really tight spot, and I'm not into grinding up the hull on the outside and having to repair the gelcoat.

Can I just plug the thing with thickend epoxy or even marine tex (which is just thickened epoxy, isn't it)?

FWIW, the hull is solid fiberglass and 1/4 to 3/8" thick in this area.

Thanks!

-Shawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2009
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Myself, I would try the thickened epoxy first. I would even apply a second coat to make sure you've covered it completely. It should hold up fine and if it doesn't, then you have to go to plan B.
Old 12-31-2009
Sailor & Member

dantaden is on a distinguished road
Follow this weblink to West System where you can download the instruction manual to prep, fill and finish your holed area, + other stuff you may want to fix on-board.

Have fun and a great new year.

WEST SYSTEM | Use Guides
Old 12-31-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Shawn,
One thing about gel-coat is that it is a polyester resin as opposed to an epoxy resin. You can apply epoxies over polyester surfaces but the reverse is not recommended. Check any can of gel-coats fine print to verify this. Epoxy has better adhesive qualities then polyester resins and therefore is the glue of choice for many repairs. Epoxy may adhere better but it does not hold up to UV as well as pigmented polyester resin (gel-coat).
So you could do your 12:1 bevel and fill it with polyester resin and cloth and then gel coat it, or your could fill it with thickened epoxy and simply paint it. Since we are talking about a dime sized hole the easiest thing to try first would the Marine-Tex (thickened, pigmented epoxy paste). If your hull is white then use the white Marine-Tex and it will look very similar to gel coat. For a larger, more invasive repair I would go by the book.
Happy New Years.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2009

inthesprings is on a distinguished road
Right, well thats good enough for me. I will try the Marine tex then....when it warms up a bit. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2009

orientalnc2010 is on a distinguished road
Hi Shawn,
A simple fix might be to plug the hole with a stainless steel bolt, round head of the appropriate size with lots of sealant and use the clam shell to conceal it.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC
One of the two happiest days in a sailors life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-04-2010
Just a kid with a boat.

leland515 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to leland515
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthesprings View Post
Firstly, HAPPY NEW YEAR! and I hope everyone has a wonderful 2010 sailing season.

And on to the quesiton...how do I plug up the small (maybe dime sized) hole in my stern? It was for a fish finder I think. It's usually above the water line unless the boat is sailing hard on a port tack or in a following sea, in which case, well, I'm taking on water. Surprisingly (or maybe not) it took me awhile to figure out where the heck the water was getting in from, even though there's a hole in the stern (duh!). I think it was the little cover over the hole that threw me. Anyway, I got the Don Casey Sailboat Maintenance book for christmas which it seems would have me grinding a big beveled (12:1) depression around the hole and laying it up with epoxy and cloth. Can't to that from inside the hull because it's in a really tight spot, and I'm not into grinding up the hull on the outside and having to repair the gelcoat.

Can I just plug the thing with thickend epoxy or even marine tex (which is just thickened epoxy, isn't it)?

FWIW, the hull is solid fiberglass and 1/4 to 3/8" thick in this area.

Thanks!

-Shawn
Sand/Grind it all out until you have bare fiberglass, mix up some Marinetex, and stuff it in there
It's not a load bearing area, and it's very tiny.
You'll be fine
Old 01-04-2010
Just a kid with a boat.

leland515 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to leland515
Quote:
Originally Posted by orientalnc2010 View Post
Hi Shawn,
A simple fix might be to plug the hole with a stainless steel bolt, round head of the appropriate size with lots of sealant and use the clam shell to conceal it.
Wow, would have never thought of that!
Old 01-17-2010

bychance is on a distinguished road
patch a hole

I used simple mix in tube, underwater epoxy for a hole in bottom of my 24 hunter. Had the boat for several years, and never leaked//
Old 01-18-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Or, you buy a short fat stainless carriage bolt, put some sealant under the head, and bolt it through the hole. That avoids the need to repaint the transom or otherwise blend the repair in. Add some Loctite or use two bolts, or at least a star washer, to make sure the nut inside doesn't work loose.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.