Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I love that people enjoy playing with their poo so much. Seriously what was so bad about a bucket? Swathing your poo in chemicals, or spending all of the time and environmental impact of installing and maintaining a flushing toilet on a boat has to be a lot worse for the earth than a little poo out in the big blue sea.
uhmmm maybe because many of us are not off shore with sufficient regularity to make that practical, or legal?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I love that people enjoy playing with their poo so much. Seriously what was so bad about a bucket? Swathing your poo in chemicals, or spending all of the time and environmental impact of installing and maintaining a flushing toilet on a boat has to be a lot worse for the earth than a little poo out in the big blue sea.
Don't pretend to be so obtuse. It's quite apparent that this elaborate dealing with wastes is not due to a concern for ecology or in any way related to "playing with poo". This is a result of compliance with the clean water act of 1972. It is the responsibilty of a citizen not only to respect the views of the minority, but to abide with the law that he may disagree with, while voicing and voting his pleasure. I believe that organic wastes are natural in the "cycle of life", yet harmful in disproportionate concentrations. The clean water act of 1972 addresses this problem, but is not ecologically important in many areas. Maybe it's the best approach as an equal task for all. 'take care and joy, aythya crew
Old 01-05-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Having a working head is no problem, once it's set up right. In the U.S. at least, you have to pump out at a pump out station, unless you're three miles offshore. What do you do with your bucket of poo?

If you want to get a woman onboard you better have a head, unless she's Tug Boat Annie.
Old 01-28-2010

johnseattle is on a distinguished road
Holding tank now finished

Just wanting to report back about how my home-built holding tank turned out. It's now finished, has about a 13 gallon capacity, roughly 30" length x 13" width x tapering depth and includes baffles. It's been a simple enough thing to make but it has been time consuming and expensive. The materials included a 4ft x 8ft sheet of ľ" marine plywood (over $60), West System epoxy (over $50), translucent screw-in hatch ($15), elbow fitments for inlet, outlet and vent (about $20), odds and ends like screws, paint, fibreglass tape, cleats, internal pipes and the total cost of materials comes to something around $175. If I were doing the job again I'd settle for buying a smaller capacity factory-made plastic tank that doesn't make as efficient use of the limited space available. The tank I have made is a perfect fit in the locker (Islander 28) but I don't think it has really justified the effort and expense. I also notice my tank weighs a lot more than the plastic tanks I've seen. This has been my experience.
Old 01-28-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Any exterior grade plywood would be just as good. After filleting the joins and proper glassing of both the interior and exterior it wouldn't make a difference. At least the weight is low down.

Last edited by mitiempo; 01-28-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-02-2010

catsketcher is on a distinguished road
Charcoal filters

Gday

I put a holding tank into our cat. I put a funnel on the vent and then taped in some of the old vapour filters used in my Sundstrom face mask. It doesn't smell.

cheers

Phil