Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010

Liefie is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice Jeff. J's are hard to come by around here. I haven't seen any on the market. Other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2010
1973 Viking 33

SloopDogg is on a distinguished road
Hi, my 2 cents worth. I'm going on my 3rd year as a sailor. I always wanted a sail boat and someone gave me one 3 years ago. It is a O'day 22 1977 vintage. Now, I want (badly) a larger boat but, I have an inner argument and a few obdervations to share.

Like you, my signifigant other was not very interested in sailing but I really thought she would love if I could get her out there. So, the boat was free but needed everything, Sails, an outboard (which I bought brand new for piece of mind) rigging, you name it. Anyway, after about $5,000 I have a really sweet little boat that I get tons of compliments on and have gained a huge intimate connection to given I did all the labor myself. The beauty of the small boat was that I could actually afford a slip instead of a mooring. This is definately the most important point in regard the GF.

It is so convienient to be able to go down to the marina walk right out to our boat and climb abord. It makes those last minute, forgotten things in the car so much easier to retrieve. Not so much for me, because I'm a hardcore at whatever I put my mind too lol, but for her and anyone else we bring along.

The 22' boat is very easy to maneuver around the other boats and is great practice for the larger one I dream of. I even have a trailer for this boat and simply have the marina pick it off the trailer in spring and launch and pull it and place it back on the trailer in the fall and take it home, saving on winter storage. From what I hear, it is also better to practice on smaller boats as they require more attention and react to the elements more giving the boat feel of your actions as skipper. I have only ever sailed a big boat once during an afternoon charter so, I don't really know how true that is.

Now, then there is all the costs of a larger boat as every expense is per foot. Bottom painting, slip or mooring fees, off season storage...blah blah blah..

We really have a great time on our boat, the GF loves it and has no dream of larger boats so, it is a very tough justification of getting a bigger boat, even though I scour craigs list and ebay constantly searching for the upgrade!

I hope my ramblings aren't too off topic or too, well, rambling and give at least something to think about.

Danny
Old 03-23-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liefie View Post
Hello L,

Thanks for the advice on the C&C 30. I just joined OWSA this year and I'm almost finished with their sailing basics class. I've been boat shopping for a few months now and as a beginner, can use all the advice I can get. You mentioned the Niagra 26', do you know when it might come on the market again? It would be interested in checking it out. I see that your homepage is an Ericson site. I've been eyeing the Ericson 32' at River City, Slow Ride. Do you know anything about that boat?

Liefie
Howdy, I have not checked back on this site in a while. Slow Ride is an exceptional boat. Very well maintained and the owner's friends tell me that it's above "turn key."
Being an Ericson, there is a wealth of material available on the large owners' site at EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!.

Here is a link to the Niagara 26;
Niagara 26 Sailboat

Regards,
L
Old 03-23-2010

Liefie is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tip.

Hi L,

Thanks for the tip. I checked out the listing and emailed the owner to have a look. I appreciate it! I'm checking out an Albin Ballad in Tacoma on Friday. Do you know anything about them, or know someone in Portland that has one? Everything I'm reading online makes them sound pretty decent. I'm also still interested in C&C's, but haven't found the perfect boat yet.

Liefie
Old 03-24-2010
Panhandle Sailor

dreuge is on a distinguished road
Hi,
I would not give up on the C&C yet. I purchased my first sailboat, a 1979 C&C 29, last October. The boat sails great in light and heavy winds. She sails more efficient in heavy winds if you keep the heeling down. While I have had some sailing experience, I would not have called myself a sailor in October. I started off by reading several book (The Complete Sailor, Sailing Fundamentals/ASA manual, The Annapolis Book of Seamanship) along with first small outings followed by outings with increasing complexity. I have gained a lot of experience in the last 6 months, some of which was in maintenance, repair, and updating of the sailboat. I am not only pleased with the sailboat, but I truly feel fortunate that I have it. I am also very glad that I did not go with a smaller sailboat. If the C&C 30 is in good shape and if the price is right, then I would see no reason not to go for it.
Old 03-25-2010

junaido is on a distinguished road
We bought our Tanzer 25, another Canadian boat like the C&Cs, about 2 years ago with much the same objectives as you. It pays to bide your time and check out all the CL sections from Spokane to Seattle and of course Portland, Eugene etc. Go with a fresh-water boat if you can find one to your liking. C&C's have a lot of local presence, they seem like very nice boats but are pretty expensive. Our T25 has been a great learning tool and just the right size for the river. Its fast, responsive, and comfy enough for a couple to cruise on the river. We primarily sail between I-5 and 205 with the occasional overnighter to gov't island. This year we might venture farther afield to Sand Island or Astoria, but I don't think I will ever venture across the bar in something this small and light displacement. I would suggest staying in the 25-30 ft range on the river, anything bigger will be expensive to maintain and cumbersome to maneuver around these parts. You can have always it trailered up to the Sound if you get tired of the river. The river current is the biggest learning curve for me, I still get white knuckle moments docking in spring when its running strong. Draft is another issue, many marinas along Marine Dr. have depth issues in late summer and there are many shallow spots to watch out for near the sea scout base and tip of Tomahawk Island. Good luck with the boat search, let us know how it pans out.
Old 03-25-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
I'd opt to start smaller for a first boat, everything is exponential at haulout!
Old 04-15-2010
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
The CC 30 mk 1 is a great boat and not a bad beginners boat. It's a very forgiving heavy weather boat. I have a '77. It's a good singlehander- the great majority of my sailing is singlehanded- it's just a matter of rigging it to do so. I'd take issue with Jeff H that it's not a great racer. C&C's of that vintage have held our club racing fleet trophy for many years against a fleet of mostly newer boats (albeit, mostly cruisers). They sail very well to their PHRF rating. Granted, it's not a modern racing machine, but it's still capable of winning races. It's biggest downfall is very light air, and this is true with the other cc's of that vintage. The cc29 is a very different boat- a great boat, but inherently much less stable.
I'd be suspect of the boat with "a large blister". There are a lot of cc30's on the market. The most common known issues with them:
1. Keel to hull joint- "the c&c smile". Not a hard fix usually. Often just retorquing keel bolts will keep it from reoccurring
2. Wet decks-- water intrusion around fittings. This is a biggie.
3. Mast step failure-- wooden supports rot out. Not a hard fix.
You can get a boat in decent shape with average equipment for about $25k. Much more or less than that and I'd be suspicious.
Don't skip the survey.
Old 04-15-2010
Humble Sailor

seabemol is on a distinguished road
C&C30? Perfect boat to begin with!
Enjoy!
Old 04-26-2010

Brahm is on a distinguished road
c & c 30

The C & C 30 is a wonderful boat and I recommend it highly for a new sailor. Easy to single hand and a joy to sail. Ours is a 1974 and we've had it since 1994. It is a stiff, lively boat and sails well in all sorts of weather. It was built during C & C's best years with robust fittings. Ours has a tiller and the spade rudder can quickly turn the boat on it's length when motoring and handles well for racing or cruising with an autopilot.