Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010
smillinjack

smillinjack is on a distinguished road
how to load blue chart in a Garmin GPS

Hi All I am trying to load my blue chart in my garmin gps c172 . I have looked in the manual for it with no luck. I have found it in the menu and it shows page 1 and page 2 but it is not loading. any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2010

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
OK, I have just read the manual and can advise you that you cannot directly upload charts to this unit, even if it were possible you would have to use the Garmin online map updater or do it through Garmins MapSource program. Unfortunately your Chart Plotter is a discontinued model and does not support this.

The way to update charts is to use a BlueChart Map file on the proprietry Garmin map chip and insert it into the recepticle in the front of the unit, or to use their Mapsource program that is supplied with BlueChart CD Roms and first of all install the map information onto a computer. The select the charts you want to use on the chart plotter and write them to a blank Garmin memory chip using the Garmin USB card reader/writer. Then plug the chip into the chart plotter and it will read the new maps from the chip as required.
Old 03-04-2010
smillinjack

Garmin Map chip

Thanks for the info. I bought a blue chart chip of the southeast area. I was trying to figure out how to used it in the garmin. I am trying to get it set up where the charts will work. I have it installed in the garmin, I think the problem that I am having is finding the rite spot in the menu. these manuals read like stereo instructions. I guess what I am saying is that I am dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Old 03-04-2010

If the chip is compatible with your unit, then it should read them automatically. Do you know someone with another Garmin that you could test it in? It may be corrupted and unreadable by the machine.
Old 03-05-2010
smillinjack

I found page 23

In the manual on page 23 it devoted half a page selecting the info. I paid $318.00 bucks for a new chip from garmin I hope it will not be corrupted . I will install the unit in the boat and sit in the cockpit with the manual and go through some of training sims and see if I can learn how to do it. Thank you for the help and info. The sailing weather is starting to get nice down here in Florida maybe I will be on the water next week . Good sailing, and thanks.
Old 03-05-2010

bigcj39 is on a distinguished road
I have a 182c and id like to load Blue Charts.Wonder if this is possible.
Old 03-07-2010

Some of the Garmin units did have a limitation on the size of the memory card they could read. Some machines had a software update to remove this limitation, this may be the case with yours. Check the version number on the flash screen during start-up on your unit againts this list

Garmin: Chartplotters Update with Garmin Card Note - Click on 'Garmin:' in the link to the left to go to the page.

Currently the latest software for the 172C is version 3.10

Last edited by r.furborough; 03-07-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: correct weblink
Old 03-07-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
The GPSMap 172C does not have any internal memory hence one cannot "load" charts. Garmin Map Data can only be "loaded" by inserting Garmin's proprietary data chips into the unit as described in Appendix G of the user's manual. The pre-programed data chips should be "read" automatically after they are inserted into the unit. One can also "make" ones own chips using a BlueChart CD provided one has a security code for the unit the chips will be used in. Typically, the BlueChart's can be authorized for two units. One must purchase additional authorizations from Garmin for more than two units. If a pre-programed chip cannot be read and an automatic up-date of the units software as described above does not resolve the matter, the chip may be corrupt. Note that getting chips near a cell phone can corrupt the data--as I discovered.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."