SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   Everybody has to earn a living --- (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/65211-everybody-has-earn-living.html)

FSMike 06-01-2010 09:00 PM

Everybody has to earn a living ---

I know advertising pays the bills around here, but am I the only person irritated by that bank ad that causes the whole page to scroll up and down just as I'm about to click on something? They're not likely to see any of my business.

mikel1 06-02-2010 05:58 AM

You're not the only one... pisses me off too!

sh009 06-02-2010 09:21 AM

"Everybody has to earn a living."
I agree, and yet...
firefox + adblock plus + noscript.
Pissing people off doesn't seem like a good way to "earn" a living.

Faster 06-02-2010 09:54 AM

???? Not seeing this on Google Chrome.......

edguy3 06-02-2010 10:04 AM

A click a day, keeps the bad-ads away

I cant stand intrusive ads; passive banner ads are ok. These scrolly things are somewhat annoying, but not as bad as the adverts presented last month. Like spam and cold calling, I simply refuse to shop places that use this tactic.

However, on a site like sailnet where the ads can be very well targeted, the ads can even add value to the readers while giving our hosts a higher return. If we frequent some of the advertisers, perhaps our host wont be as pressured to further support their business model...

wwilson 06-02-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSMike (Post 609022)
I know advertising pays the bills around here, but am I the only person irritated by that bank ad that causes the whole page to scroll up and down just as I'm about to click on something? They're not likely to see any of my business.

What always amazes me is an advertiser's notion that any publicity must be good publicity. What ever happened to focus groups? I can't imagine that the consensus of one would be anything other than - this pisses the user off so much that they are now less likely to buy your product.

SVCarolena 06-02-2010 11:09 AM

Yes, the new ads are VERY annoying. Just one more reason why I like the anything-sailing dot com forums - no advertising!

smackdaddy 06-02-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVCarolena (Post 609217)
Yes, the new ads are VERY annoying. Just one more reason why I like the anything-sailing dot com forums - no advertising!

Must.....bite.....tongue. Heh-heh.

I'm only seeing the annoying Expand-O-Ad when I first come to the site. No big deal. It's kind of like one of those annoying games where the button you're trying to click moves away from the cursor. As long as i don't have to deal with it on every page - no worries.

Make your money SN. I appreciate what we get in return.

mitiempo 06-03-2010 12:37 AM

I use Internet Explorer, Firefox, and recently tried Safari. I am on Sailnet a lot. I have never seen these annoying ads. Maybe I'm just lucky?

SVCarolena 06-03-2010 06:31 AM

Thanks, Smack, for taking the high road.