SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   How do you re-finish teak? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/65642-how-do-you-re-finish-teak.html)

KeltiC 06-15-2010 07:39 PM

How do you re-finish teak?

My bf bought some 'stuff'. I can't remember what it's called. But there are 3 steps.
We want to 'clean up' the wood inside the boat and I tried this stuff...but it didn't do any good!!
Does anyone else have any ideas?
Thanks!

Mwozniak 06-15-2010 08:24 PM

I prefer to let nature handle my teak while I sail my boat

KeltiC 06-15-2010 08:30 PM

My bf had to have the windows replaced on the boat a few months ago, as they had been leaking. So the teak has water stains running down from the windows. The cupboards just look dull, as does the table and other areas. We'd like to have it looking much nicer! So, how do we go about this? As I said, the stuff I used on the table didn't make a difference. So I know for certain that this product won't help with the water stains.

Also, is it okay to get teak wet, because there is a shower in the boat as well.

zz4gta 06-15-2010 09:12 PM

If its not being walked on, I like to varnish all interior teak. Looks great and last a long time if it's not in the sun. Usually you can sand out some stains, but water alone shouldn't stain teak.

KeltiC 06-15-2010 09:15 PM

Its definitely water...'cuz it's left streaks the way water would.
I'd post pics but I haven't figured out how to do that on here yet.
The inside wood just looks dull and dry!! It needs finishing!!

Faster 06-15-2010 09:18 PM

For pictures using a photo hosting site like Photobucket works best, simply paste the IMG CODE link from your 'album' there into a post here and voila! there it is. Free and easy to join.

Water stained teak is very difficult to 'clean up'... sanding will probably work best. If you plan on using the shower that area would be best sealed with a good varnish. If I remember correctly the Coopers used mostly oiled teak finish below.

sailor50 06-15-2010 09:26 PM

Put new gasket material in the port lights. You can get this from Goodyear Tire and Rubber. Yep, the tire company makes gaskets in all kinds of profiles, diameters, dimensions.

The secret is to not over-tighten them after they are replaced. A basic neoprene gasket does dry out - you compress it after several closures, put Vaseline on the inside after several uses, keeps it supple.

KeltiC 06-15-2010 09:30 PM

Faster, thanks! I will check out photobucket.

I was afraid we'd have to sand the wood!! It will be a lot of work...not to mention the mess from sanding!!
I think it will have to wait until later in the Fall though...we don't want to waste our boat time doing work (on our days off) while we could be out having fun in the sun!

ICEBIRD 06-30-2010 06:15 PM

The water stains will need to be sanded,an electric palm sander works best on flat surfaces. CETOL Marine varnish,teak finish will make your table and cabinets sparkle.You can get it at most marine stores. Cheers! BILL s/v ICEBIRD

GentleBreeze 06-30-2010 07:46 PM

teak cleaning formula

Before you go to the trouble to sand, try the following home formula. It is cheep and I have used it on my teak around the boat. I hope it works for you.
1-Tbsp of Tri-sodium phospate (got mine at Wallmart)
1- Tbsp of Lemon Joy liquid dish soap
1- White tile scrubbing pad (blue is too course)
Add the above to one gallon of hot water or as hot as you can stand. I have used tap water as well.
Wear gloves as the mixture will irritate your skin some.
Test in a small area first.
Rinse well with clean water and allow to dry thoroughly.
Note:
I use the same mixture (except to 4 gallons of water ) to keep and maintain my teak decks once or twice yearly.
Let me know how and if it works for you..... Good Luck