Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2010

bunjo is on a distinguished road
Smile yanmar yse 8hp fuel pump?

First, hi everyone,I'm in desperate need of some how to hints,4 month ago I bought a 26 foot sail boat with a yanmar yse 8hp which had been sitting for a few years, after checking all the fluid levels and refreshing the batteries I turned the engine over and it wouldn't start I kinda expected that so I called a local mechanic which in turn explain to me how to bleed the fuel system to which every attempt was unsuccessful after that it took me 2 months to get a mechanic to come and take a look at the motor and after ten minutes of trying starting the engine told me that the pump was shut,got it rebuilt another three wks pass gave him a call another wk pass before he showed up and he couldn't get it working, told me to take the pump back to the fellow that rebuilt it and after rechecking the pump he told me that it was working fine,the mech not taking my calls anymore, the cam inside the motor is working there is lift on the plunger but can't get no darn fuel pass the pump,governor may be ,we tried that also as the engine was turning opening it up so slightly and no fuel ever come out of the pump,frustrated to no end!any help will be appreciated Bunjo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I assume you are talking about an electric fuel pump like I have on my YSE8. Is the pump running when the ignition is on? Are any fuel valves between the tank and pump closed? Is the vent on the fuel tank restricted in any way? How are the filters? There is usually 2, a Racor or similar and the smaller one on the engine itself. Is the fuel in the tank clean? Follow the route from tank to injector and check everything, make sure the connections are tight and that air isn't getting in anywhere.
Old 06-04-2012

kmbh69 is on a distinguished road
Re: yanmar yse 8hp fuel pump?

Hello,
I recently buyed a Cobra 27 sailboat equiped with a motor Yanmar YSE 8 HP. Could you tell me, please, where the motor number is located ? (the motor serial number, on which side of the motor block ?).
Thank you !
Old 01-26-2013

sadie anne clawe is on a distinguished road

Bunjo,
Firstly, I feel ya. Good diesel engine mechanics who are willing to bust their backs crawling into weird tiny spaces on small sail boats are hard to find.
Especially since, if they are actually good at what they do they can make three times as much working on rich peoples fancy yachts. A mechanic told me this while I was going through a similar issue trying to get somebody to take a look at my yanmar yse 8 and the lady who ran the best dealer ship around died a month before I began working on my engine.

Secondly, if it is the electric fuel pump we are talking about you should hear a tickticking sound when you start your ignition (I have a switch I pull out and some lights turn on) I'm wondering if it could be as simple as a wiring problem?
I also have a fuel shut off valve on my in line.

Good luck! Also the mechanic who rebuilt my motor doesn't return my phone calls either but usually after the 5th or 6ht time I call I catch him and he says he will come take a look at it but that has yet to happen since I bought the boat 2 years ago.
Old 01-26-2013

SakPase is on a distinguished road

It is definitely a fuel problem, with an engine sitting that long I would first change the filters, snake the hard line and have the injector cleaned/replace it, then bleed the hell out of it.