Need new chainplates - Where to buy the stainless? 316 vs 2205? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010

neoxaero is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the responses guys - I actually managed to find a set of chain plates that fit the boat perfectly... I got the mast up and got the sails up since it was a dead calm day here

Now I just need to get some new sheets for the jib, install the traveler track and go sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
DelmarRey
Looks complicated. A plasma torch does a fine job with a lot less equipment. Depending on the model a good thickness can be cut like butter. I don't think anyone uses a laser for cutting in a small shop.

CapTim
I was never a fan of MacGregor but if they rig with nicropress I'm now less of a fan. To maintain strength you need 2 nicropress sleeves on the wire - it is hard to get the same tension on both. When all is said and done a good machined swage is hardly more expensive and a lot neater.
Old 08-08-2010

CapTim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post

CapTim
I was never a fan of MacGregor but if they rig with nicropress I'm now less of a fan. To maintain strength you need 2 nicropress sleeves on the wire - it is hard to get the same tension on both. When all is said and done a good machined swage is hardly more expensive and a lot neater.
Macs use a spaced double-sleeve nicopress. It's been working like a champ on trailer boats since.. what.. forever? But the rigors of a trailer-sailor are pretty different than something that doesn't come off the water, obviously.

I, too, would take a machine swage over a nicopress or mechanical fitting. But I think it's another case of choosing between several good options, rather than picking the best of a bad bunch. Sort of the opposite of politics, if you will.

Don't forget that most airplanes and hang-gliders are nicopress.. that stuff works like a champ. And it can be rigged quickly in an emergency while on the boat.. something machine sweges can't claim.

But holy fishnuts, batman.. I've really digressed.

Grats on getting the chainplates squared away, Neo!

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
Old 08-08-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarRey View Post
There is water jet cutting which is what is recommended for SS especial. Laser cuts great too but does create heat. West Coast Waterjet - Precision Water Jet Cutting Metal, Steel, Stone, Glass, Wood - Greater Seattle, WA

YouTube - ‪WATER CUTS STAINLESS STEEL‬‎

BTW-2205 is commonly known as Aqualoy used for prop shafts.
Del: I believe it was West Coast whom we used to cut out my mast step parts and mast ring collar parts out of 3/8 ss...pretty good job.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 08-08-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
CapTim
I would take a machine swage over Nicropress but not over a good mechanical fitting like the Hayn HiMod or StaLock. These fittings are superior to any machine swage and very easy to use, particularly the Hayn HiMod.
As far as the Nicropress not only is the correct crimp tool expensive but there is no neat way to do it - you end up with the wire l going around a thimble and then attach that to a turnbuckle. And I doubt the thimbles were chosen with the correct eye sizing for the pins either. It seems to me that someone who is concerned about the thickness of chainplates that lasted decades would want to do a neater job of the wire ends that will last longer.

Congrats on finishing - post a few pictures.
Old 06-20-2012

bluebonnet is on a distinguished road
Re: Need new chainplates - Where to buy the stainless? 316 vs 2205?

A great place for the best price of 316L SS chainplates with the fastest service is in Texas at Chainplates Express - Home.
They are a machine shop and do their own electro-polishing of the plates
before shipping.