Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010

mbettman is on a distinguished road
Virtual fresh water tank for liveaboards...

I've been lurking around Sailnet for years, gathering and using knowledge, and benefiting from this community enormously. I figured I better throw a dime in the slot to do my part.

This post relates to the use of city water pressure aboard boats. We've all heard the stories of boats that sink at their slip because it was hooked up to city water and an internal hose gave way and the bilge pump didn't work because the power went out, etc, etc, etc,.... There have been heated threads dedicated to the problem of how to get fresh water from the spigot on the dock onto a boat. The two options are, hook 'er up to the city and throw caution to the wind OR fill 'er up every week or so with a dockside hose (i.e. run out in your bathrobe with shampoo in your hair and wave hi to the neighbors while you wait for the tank to fill). Neither is a great solution.

I was faced with this problem two years ago when after throwing caution to the wind and choosing option 1. Up to this point we were hooked to the city water with a hose and relied on a little shutoff valve on the water intake which we (my wife and I) were hit or miss on whether we actually used it or not. Sometimes we'd leave for a week and have forgotten to turn the valve off...This is how people get into trouble. Our number came up one day and I was fortunate enough to be on board when a water heater hose gave out and city water came flooding in.

We went to filling the tank every week, but that is a real PITA if you've been enjoying non stop water flow for the preceding year. So I looked for an alternative to the two game plans. Idea 1 was a button operated solenoid on a timer (press the button, get water for ten minutes) but this requires power to the button and the valve which would have to be onboard, no good. Idea 2, remote control something or another to the spigot which would open water flow when a "key" was aboard...again, full of holes, not to mention WAY too complex.

In my searches for various valves and such I came across a volumetric metering valve made by a company called Bermad. It's a tank filling valve that allows you to select the number of gallons you want on a dial... In the case of mine, between 5 and 125. I got to thinking and realized that my bilge could easily handle 75 gallons or so. What I had been trying to do is control the ingress of water at the time of use, what I realized with this valve is that it would control the ingress of water at the time of failure...75 gallons (or whatever you want to set it at) then ZIP it will shut off the water until the dial is reset. This valve requires no power and lives OUTSIDE on the deck of my boat, inline with the fresh water hose, doing its handy work before entering my boats water system. In essence, it's a virtual tank, but rather than filling it with a hose, you reset it with a dial... Much easier and quicker than hanging out on the dock in your bathrobe. We still use a shut off valve, and are better about turning it off when we leave the boat these days, but this is a great fail safe and it has worked flawlessly for two years. We've had 2 hose ruptures for various reasons and the valve saved the day both times. The part number is Bermad 1106-MTA-125, it costs about $100, plus you need fittings to make it compatible with your average hose. Here's to not sinking our boats. I hope this information is helpful to a few of you out there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like a very good solution to a non problem.

If you simply set a schedule to refill the tanks based on their size and your usage, you would never run out.

I guess I'm used to it because all my drinking, coffee and cooking water comes from a counter top filter system that I have to fill from my rain collection system with a one gallon bottle.
If I don't fill it the night before, I have to fill it and wait for 30 minutes before I make my coffee in the morning.
So I don't forget to fill it too often.
Old 08-27-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
If I have municipal water, it means I am at the marina. I will take shower and conduct my number 1 and 2 on their facility. It is good for the environment anyway.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.