SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   How do I add Ship's Bells to my computer (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/69216-how-do-i-add-ships-bells-my-computer.html)

teddius 10-19-2010 06:13 PM

How do I add Ship's Bells to my computer

Anyone know of a free download that will play ships bells on my mac computer?

oceanscapt 10-19-2010 08:23 PM

I have no idea if this works. i found this via google.
About 26,700 results (0.22 seconds)

Download Ship's Clock 2.0.0 Free - Rings a bell every half an hour in the style of a ship's clock - Softpedia

Ship's Clock description
Rings a bell every half an hour in the style of a ship's clock

Ship's Clock is a free and open source application that will ring a bell on every half-hour in the style of the standard ship's clock.

That standard has its roots in centuries of sailing ships around the world where clocks were impractical, and is still used in present-day navies.

Ship's Clock is based on four-hour watches: each watch was on duty for four hours starting at the hour of 12, 4, or 8 (am or pm).

Each half-hour during a watch was marked by a single bell and each hour by a double bell. For example, starting at 12 o'clock:

Here are some key features of "Ship's Clock":

Audible reminder of the current time every 30 minutes, using the nautical four-hour watch tradition.
Starts automatically when the computer is rebooted (service on Windows, cron daemon on Linux, launch daemon on Mac)
Simple configuration through a graphical tool on Windows.
Integrated smoothly into System Configuration on Mac.
Small footprint.
Code is fully documented.

teddius 10-19-2010 08:25 PM

I've got this one

Yeah, I already D/L'd this one, but it doesn't seem to work. I have gone without the 30min and hourly bells all afternoon. Anything else out there? Or, in the alternative someone with greater computer skills than I that would know how to make it work properly?

AdamLein 10-20-2010 05:36 PM

I would also point out that a single bell at the half-hour mark and a double bell at the whole-hour is not how ships' bells ring. They just add one more chime every half hour, up to eight at the boundary between watches.

dhays 10-20-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamLein (Post 656907)
I would also point out that a single bell at the half-hour mark and a double bell at the whole-hour is not how ships' bells ring. They just add one more chime every half hour, up to eight at the boundary between watches.

True, On the hour, you would ring double bells, on the half hour a single bell would be added.

So in a 4 hour watch you would have, starting with the first bell at the half hour:
ding
ding-ding
ding-ding, ding
ding-ding, ding-ding
ding-ding, ding-ding, ding
ding-ding, ding-ding, ding-ding
ding-ding, ding-ding, ding-ding, ding
ding-ding, ding-ding, ding-ding, ding-ding

:)