Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010

starboardyacht is on a distinguished road
Greenwich 24 & the southside of Long Island

What are the cruising limits of this old & pretty little girl around Long Island? Statue of Liberty, Montock, Block Island, Vineyard? We'll be departing from da southside... Also, anyone have firsthand experience with a Greenwich 24?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Never heard of this boat...I " roll" in an old '71 Seafarer 24 these days...so I am rather interested in this size and age range...I'll see what I can find online..
Old 11-02-2010

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Allied Greenwich 24 sailboat for sale

This ad on Texas sailing has some good pics of a Greenwich 24...nice-looking old girl...Looks to me like this boat would make a fine coastal cruiser but there may be structural issues that only former owners or people "in the know" with "on the ground" knowledge of this boat could provide...good luck..if nothing else maybe you know someone who has been sailing a long time who would be able to give her a good look-over if you are not sure what to look for as far as potential problems...good surveyors are usually worth their expense but they can be pricey...and with $ 4000-5,000 dollar boats ( or less) a real yacht survey may be not be cost-effective...I'd check for blisters on the hull that signal a poor fiberglass lay-up..however thick they were in those days there were some boats from this era whose glass jobs have not held up well..(same can be said of the 1980's though)...Also would want to check condition of sails fairly thoroughly and especially condition of standing rigging and the engine as these are your real big dollar items...

Last edited by souljour2000; 11-02-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-02-2010

mattstamour is on a distinguished road
A good friend of mine has had this boat for over 20 years. His is a '68 I think.
I can tell you it is a solid boat. Beautiful lines, solid hull. I'm not certain but I think Cape Dory bought the mold and produced the CD25.

Noank, CT
Catalina 30
Hull #222
Old 11-02-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
The Allied boat company built some solid boats: Sailboats built by Allied Boat Company Inc. on Sailboatdata.com
The Greenwich has a 3' draft which should be perfect for the Great South Bay: GREENWICH 24 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
The ocean inlets to the GSB can be treacherous though so you really will want to have confidence in your OB motor and time your passages with the tides.
On boats of this era you will want to check the integrity of the chain plates and check the decks for any soft spots. Also check rudder bearings/gudgeons.
My T27 is from 1967.
I sailed on a MacGregor 26 S from Babylon, out Fire Island Inlet to NYC and eventually Yonkers.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2010

starboardyacht is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys, all very good info... I bought the old girl, now i'm looking forward to a long winter of planning adventures around L.I.; just cannot wait.....