Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast (Climbing)- No Halyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domknotty View Post
Then there is this idea, rent an arborist. Most tree trimming companies have a 40 foot lift bucket and very few would ever turn down a chance to make money. If they do not have a handy lift or you cannot get close enough to their truck to do any good, I would suggest the arborist make the climb, a mast is a simple climb with the right gear. When the job is completed, pay and tip the climber very well, doing so will possibly earn you a mast monkey for life. Fact is despite the couple news worthy events a year of someone falling from their mast, people have been climbing mast for a thousand years. Safety and a redundant safety are a must. If they know what they are doing they will already have the gear they need. Other "climbers" include linemen, recreational rock climbers, and professional search and rescue climbers. Ask around and make connections. Bottom line, it's just a mast.

Good post. While I believe everyone should be capable of doing any task on a boat. There is no harm in hiring a "professional" to do a task that if you make a mistake will kill you. And these jobs always can use a few extra bucks. (and extra practice)
Old 05-10-2012
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

I've had an ATN Mastclimber for about a year now but I've been too chicken to figure it out or use it. My windex, steaming light, and new masthead LED will have to wait until I muster up the courage.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2012

BMLipiec is on a distinguished road

Besides the safety issue, it is also beneficial to pull the mast to check for problem areas. Especially if it hasn't been done in awhile. Corrosion and fatigue cracking may be hard to see until you pull the mast to methodically inspect.
Common problem areas: Mast steps, both keel and deck stepped masts, mast attachments for standing rigging, rigging wire and terminals, running rigging blocks and attachment points, electrical connections at the base of the mast as well as to the equipment up top.
When I pulled my mast last year I found that the electrical plug for the mast wiring was almost completely corroded through. How it still worked I have no idea.
Overall, it was a learning experience and worth the $$ and effort.
Hull #281

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-11-2012

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road

dropped my mast and found loose rivets in spreader plates, small crack in mast headlight, so was worth the time now drop it.
Night_Sailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2012

tweitz is on a distinguished road
Mast (Climbing)- No Halyards

If the boat is new to you and has not been superbly maintained, there is another concern with climbing the mast. You don't have any idea if the standing rigging is in great shape. When you climb the mast you are putting a lot of weight high up. If a fitting gives way, you could be badly injured even though you never let go of the mast.
Old 05-14-2012

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
...and how was your day?

I went to the Ship's Store here in MDR, where they have a loaner Bos'un chair. I had my dock neighbor hoist me up and I spent an hour or so up there blowing around trying to get my torn jib down. After seeing close up what I had to deal with, I elected to pay a professional the $75/hour to do the serious work, which involves removing the forestay to take the furler down and service it thoroughly. That is the pro in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Mast (Climbing)- No Halyards-mast-man.jpg  
Old 05-27-2012

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by batshaven View Post
Hi all,
Glad to have found this group and am new here. Actually new to the whole
sailing thing.
Purchased our 72 26 MKII in April and had a great summer on it, motored
everywhere since we can not raise the sails because both halyards are done. I
believe the jib block is there but nothing for the main sail. Any ideas on how
to climb the mast?
Wondering if those metal shelf brackets that you can get at home depot would
work if you could somehow use self tapping screws to make a ladder to the top of
the mast? Would it be strong enough? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Also spent the day clearing out all belongings, getting ready for a refit and
look forward to using some of the ideas I have seen in this group.
Thanks

Mike

Mike sell your boat. You have no business being on the water with ideas like this. Trust me, I've been teaching sailing part time for over 40 years. People with clueless ideas like this are a danger to themselves and others. Get and RV and be safe.

For any real sailors out there. Try using a couple pieces of thin strong line and make loops and attach them to a thick rope halyard with prussic knots. It works but is a bit slow. I've done it. Ascenders might be better but at a higher cost. A mast mate works, although I've never used one. None of this works without a halyard and of course a second one for a safety.
davidh52 likes this.

Last edited by Night_Sailor; 05-28-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

Mike, glad to see you found sailnet! {Night Sailor;maybe you should curb your opinons!} Sailing is a lesson we are always learning--Enjoy!...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 05-29-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

If I ever lose all halyards at once, I plan to us a couple lines, each wrapped around the mast 4 or more times, with some slack in the final loop. Then I'll use each of those as prusic knots, sliding them up one at a time, and letting them support the chair and foot loops on my TopClimber.

(I use this technique when installing my main sail solo. The top sliders go into the track first, which means I'm lifting significant weight while fiddling with getting the final sliders/cars inserted. The mast loops -- tied around the mast below the lowest inserted slider/car -- relieve the weight and make the job easy. Think of this as separating the act of lifting from the act of inserting the sliders/cars. It becomes a casual activity instead.)

Ascending the mast this way would be slow going, and I'd need to re-tie new loops after each spreader, but it would work, slowly. It would probably take 3 hours to ascend.

My lawyer just called. This is too dangerous, don't do any of this. Hire a professional rigger. They could use the work and they know what they are doing. And you'll likely get some hints on any obvious issues.

Regards,
Brad

Last edited by Bene505; 05-29-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Sailor View Post

Mike sell your boat. You have no business being on the water with ideas like this. Trust me, I've been teaching sailing part time for over 40 years. People with clueless ideas like this are a danger to themselves and others. Get and RV and be safe.

For any real sailors out there. Try using a couple pieces of thin strong line and make loops and attach them to a thick rope halyard with prussic knots. It works but is a bit slow. I've done it. Ascenders might be better but at a higher cost. A mast mate works, although I've never used one. None of this works without a halyard and of course a second one for a safety.
Night...... How do you feel about someone who quotes an 18 month old post and repeats advice given already?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.