Transit from the Ionian to France via the west cost of Italy - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011

Beaujolais is on a distinguished road
Question Transit from the Ionian to France via the west cost of Italy

Hi could anybody who may have done this passage give me some idea of how long it took, overall mileage, where you stopped over and places to avoid, if any. I'm taking my Sigma back to the UK via this route in June and I'm concerned about the amount of time it may take due to annual leave, much thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2011
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Could you provide more specific details about your proposed route???
It might help.

I have spent some tine sailing around the Aeolian Islands, Tropea etc and the coast of Sicily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-12-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
What is the average millage you do in a day? Are you going to sail day and night or only at day?

From the middle of the west coast of Portugal to the middle of west Italian coast I had taken about three weeks. Only sailing at daytime and stopping for 3 or 4 days (for visiting nice places). If you do it non-stop with a boat capable of a 5.5K average speed I guess it can be done in two weeks.

I would say that you can make it (from Greece to England) in about 1 month, sailing night and day and in about 45 days sailing only by day (12/13 hours a day) and with some 2 or three days to rest (assuming that you will not find bad weather and that you don't mind to sail with winds up to 30K).

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-12-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2011

Thanks

I would aim to leave Anti Paxos straight across, stay over and then down to Sicily and through, hug the Italian coast crossing large gulfs up across to Corsica and across. wold hope to approx 60-70 miles per day at 5 to 5.5 mph, may pluck up enough to night trip or two!. I believe the winds close to shore would not hinder to much and may even give me a lift?
Old 01-12-2011

Thanks PCP

I intend to go via the French canals, via the Rhone Seine Etc, So I only need to Calculate up to Sete. Please tell me the winds don't average at 30k, I presume you thought I was going round via the Rock?
Old 01-12-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaujolais View Post
I intend to go via the French canals, via the Rhone Seine Etc, So I only need to Calculate up to Sete. Please tell me the winds don't average at 30k, I presume you thought I was going round via the Rock?
Yes I though you were going to the Strait. That's a nice trip

No you would have lot's of days without wind, lot's of motoring. Much of wind that you will find in the summer is thermal wind and it only arises in the afternoon but the one along the coast of Spain can go to 30K. When thereis wind it tend to be medium/strong wind and it can reach 30k or more (Mistral), but it is not a problem because it blows for less than a week and the sea never get to be dangerous, only annoying, with that kind of small med short period steep waves that are really a pain in the ass if you go against the wind. That can really slow you down so much that it is better to stay at the marina

The zone were you have more probability of getting more wind is between Corsica and the French coast and along the French coast (Mistral). But you are doing a coastal trip and if you don't want to sail with winds over 20K you just have to consider about a week to 10 days more, the days you will be at the marina waiting for the weather to settle. In any summer I have sailed on those waters (Minorca, Corsica, Sardinia, Coast of Italy) for an average of 30 days sailing I was at the marina or in an anchorage waiting for better weather and less wind for about 3 or 4 days.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-12-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.