sailing Newport to Annapolis routes - Page 2 - SailNet Community
SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 01-16-2011
Chesapeake Sailor

We faced the same situation last spring buying a boat in New England and needing to get it to Baltimore. We decided to shake her down for 12 days in New England. This was a great confidence builder giving time to learn the boat, fuel consumption, electrical systems, radar operation, and etceteras. I gave up trying to make the inside route work and decided being close to the Jersey shoreline was a false sense of security so we went Montauk Point to Cape May direct. In the end I swear we could see the bright Atlantic City the entire trip anyway. We rode the tide all the way up the Delaware Bay and through the canal. That was one of the best voyages I had all summer actually.

Think very carefully about cold exposure in April.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 01-17-2011 Thread Starter

Thanks all for the great insight. I will be taking it all in over the next month or two as I decide best way to bring her home. We are also considering having the boat shipped via land to get her to Annapolis earlier. I am having a new paint job done on the hull and want it completed, as well as any other work that needs to be done, before the season kicks in. Thoughts on that option are welcome as well. I hate options.

Steve
post #13 of 16 Old 01-17-2011

If the financial cost of trucking the boat is not prohibitive for you, it's almost always the best way to go to keep a schedule of any kind.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-17-2011

Is the painting and other work being done in Annapolis or Newport?

Peterson 34 GREYHAWK, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, a new voice for ocean conservation
post #15 of 16 Old 01-18-2011 Thread Starter

not sure if I will have her painted up in Newport, or at home. Mostly depends on timing for bringing her down. At this point, I am thinking of completing the survey this week; if all goes well, close the deal next week; have her painted where she is (very reputable yard) over the next six weeks; once we get into April, bring her home. Thanks again for all of the input.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-06-2011

My wife and I will be leaving Barnegat bay around 17 April headed to Kent Island MD. New Hunter (2008) 31. New foulweather gear and polarfleece last week. We will look for you. Our boat is Windsong both sides of stern. Good Luck . Carl Roosa

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.