SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   Spade rudder rebuild (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/72187-spade-rudder-rebuild.html)

willysail 02-19-2011 01:17 PM

Spade rudder rebuild

In the fall I was remove my Cal 9.2 from the water when
I hit something and broke my rudder. The rudder broke about seven inches below the rudder shaft. I was wondering if any one knew of a website that had instructions on rebuilding or making a new rudder

CalebD 02-19-2011 02:12 PM

If the rudder shaft isn't bent you should be able to repair it with epoxy and cloth.
WEST SYSTEM | Use Guides

Lackey Sailing, LLC | Boatbuilders, Boat Restorers, and Marine Surveyors

willysail 02-19-2011 02:35 PM

the rudder completely broke off and the rudder shaft was not bent

CalebD 02-19-2011 05:15 PM

I guess it is a little difficult visualizing your rudder damage without a photo.
Typically the rudder shaft will have several metal straps or ribs welded to it that would be encased in a foam core and/or fiberglass.
Are there any ribs evident on your rudder shaft? or is it just a bare pole?

Faster 02-19-2011 06:34 PM

If the blade broke below the end of the stock, then clean it all up, feather back the skin on the remaining rudder. Try to find a similar core material and fashion a new piece to match the original, undersized by the skin thickness you plan to relaminate. Maybe leave room for thicker glass layers at the joint.

Then I'd put some pins into the original part of the blade, with matching recesses/holes in the new section, slide it together and glass it all up. Then refair the repair and seal and paint it. Using epoxy resins will likely work best, but vinylester may work too. There should be plenty of on-line help as the the specifics of the materials you should use.

If your rudder stock is undamaged, there's no need to worry about the rest of the rudder unless there's some play between the original blade and the stock.. that would indicate that you've possibly damaged the internal framework or the internal coring of the original part. There is a chance, though, that if you hit something hard enough to break a chunk clean off that you have in fact done more damage elsewhere that you simply can't see....

Good luck.

If you're lucky Jeff H will weigh in with more specific suggestions.... (and likely a better plan ;) :) )

willysail 02-20-2011 09:36 AM

When I was removing the boat from the water for winter storage, I noticed that the rudder was very slow in responding to turns. I had used the boat the weekend before and didn’t have a problem. I was able to maneuver through the harbor and up to my mooring. When they took the boat out we noticed that the rudder was broken off. There was only about a foot of the rudder remain on the shaft. When I checked the bearings and the shaft housing there didn’t seem to be any cracks or weeping of water. The shaft seems to turn easy without any binding or stiff spots. I like the idea of mending the rudder
I have, the only problem is will it hold up.