SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   Shrink wrap (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/72691-shrink-wrap.html)

Dougblowboat 03-10-2011 07:51 AM

Shrink wrap

Hi I have a sail boat that is winterized and shrink wrapped it needs a lot of work and is a onging project it will not see water this year I am in no rush to finish it but would like to uncover it to work on it. Is there any way of peeling shrink wrap off and reuseing it next year maybe tuck tape it up or something

CLucas 03-10-2011 10:41 AM

There's an article in the current issue of Good Old Boat on re-using shrink wrap (page 60). Basically comes down to how carefully you remove it, where you cut it, etc. Also, extremely unlikely you'll be able to get it drum-tight. Done successfully, it's cheaper than tarps, cheaper than a custom cover and cheaper than neglecting your boat all winter.

boatpoker 03-24-2011 03:52 PM

It can be done if you are careful. Best bet for re-taping it is to use proper shrink wrap tape.

Shawney 05-05-2011 03:55 PM

Yikes - white shrink wrap marks on red hull - how do I remove marks?

Hi,
Bought, in Canada, a 30' Catalina red hull (Interlux Brightside) and the white shrink wrap has left nasty marks on the hull. I took shrink wrap off before the warm sun came so I think this is from the process of heat sealing plastic to hull. Have tried light sanding and compound to no avail. Yikes! Help! Please send reply to dive130@hotmail is best or I will check SailNet.
Many thanks.

DonScribner 05-05-2011 06:42 PM

Doug,

I'm a 12th generation Yankee. (Estimating. My family showed up in Mass in 1628) I do everything myself. For about $20 I bought a large trailer trash-blue tarp and tailored it to my boat. I took about a four hours. It isn't as sweet as a real cover, but it certainly upgrades the color. I used Velcro in places to create doors and pleats. It wasn't that hard. Certainly no worse than the Peter Chris costume that I made in 1978! Chemical recreation, what a concept.

Shawney 05-05-2011 07:12 PM

White marks on red hull from shrink wrap - how to remove?

Hi Doug,
Most people around me use tarps but I like your idea of velcro. How do you adhere velcro to the tarp?
Do you know who would know how to remove the white marks on my red hull from plastic shrink wrap. Desperate - boat going into water this week.
Thanks.

DonScribner 05-05-2011 08:07 PM

I used stick-on Velcro so I could position it on the boat and get a good fit. The sew right thru it to make it permanent.

For getting the white junk off the boat, try Magic Eraser by Mr. Clean. The work wonders on all kinds of other stuff.

Shawney 05-05-2011 09:23 PM

Thanks Don, I will try Magic Eraser tomorrow.

fallard 05-05-2011 11:22 PM

There's a fellow in our boatyard who has recycled his shrinkwrap for over 10 years. He carefully removes it and his frame every year. He puts it back using shrink wrap tape as necessary.