dip pole gybe - SailNet Community
SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-26-2011 Thread Starter

dip pole gybe

hi i am new to dip pole gybe, i always used end for end and put the lazy jig sheet over the top of the pole when gybing am i right in thinking this is not nessasery if the jig is rolled onto the forstay and the jib sheets are together at the forestay
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-26-2011
Old as Dirt!

Jig sheet? I assume you meant Jib yes? In any case, the sheets from the Jib should be pulled forward somewhat so that they fall down and out of the way. All of the spinnaker sheets/guys run outside of everything. On our boat we haul the lazy sheet down and under the jib, blow the working sheet which is left free flying, haul the pole forward and lower it under the forestay, snap the new working sheet in place, haul the pole aft on the new gybe by taking up on the new sheet while easing the old after guy and take up on the new afterguy on the leeward side while easing the then lazy sheet. It's really easier to do than describe. It does require at least 3 people for a flying gybe. When it's just my wife and I, we use a sock and snuff the sail while setting for the new gybe.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.