Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011

I'll is on a distinguished road
AG sewing canvas?

I Would like to learn to sew custom canvas & strata glass I have started with a local beginners sewing class. She has me making a pair of PJ's lol so far it's interesting..... But I am an instant gratification kind of guy and want to jump in with both feet and get working with canvas....... Can someone direct me where to start when buying a sewing machine? And other required supples ie: snap or grommet machines? I get over whelmed searching on my own. I would love to hear someone say yes buy this this and this to get started. My teachers skills mostly specific to clothing and handbags again lol neither are my interest thx
AG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Sailrite has a line of sewing machines that most sailor's speak highly of. They are kinda pricey though. Although I don't know if they are more pricey than other comparable sewing machines on the market.
Old 09-05-2011

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Assuming that sewing machine portability is not important, you might want to look on craigslist for a made in US, Japan or Germany industrial, compound walking-foot -- has both drop-feed (bottom-feed) and needle-feed (top-feed) with an alternating presser-foot -- sewing machine. Very nice to have features are reverse (some early machines do not), a large bobbin and a servo motor. Unless you want to do sail work, zig-zag might not be too important. The following links might be helpful, and do click on "show more" on the video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewing_...eed_mechanisms

Walking foot sewing machine in action - YouTube

Sailrite is a good source for materials, notions and tools, and also for video tutorials. The Sailrite sewing machines are reported to be made in Taiwan or China and do not seem to have a good reputation with folks who sew canvas for a profession.

You didn't ask but I think that the following books are worth consideration, especially the Casey Book:

The Complete Canvasworker's Guide by Jim Grant
Canvaswork & Sail Repair by Don Casey
The Big Book of Boat Canvas by Karen S. Lipe

Just for clarification, I am a beginning sewer -- have completed about 10 projects -- with a Singer 111W155, with none of the nice to have features, that was acquired via craigslist for $325, the clutch motor being replaced with a $125 servo for speed control and safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.