Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011

boatbecause is on a distinguished road
Sit on top kayak fishing is great. It gives you great access and stealth. The king on kayak
fishing is Kayak Kevin ( Kayakkevin.com) He paddled from FLA west coast up to Chesapeake and citationed all the way north.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2011

apogee1mars is on a distinguished road
Trap rig the feather of your choice with two smaller hooks. The bites should be the size of a nickel. Slide the lure down 10' of 200lb pink mono.Use a small black ball bearing swivel at the terminal end and attach your trap rigged hooks (this will stop the twist), use a black ball bearing swivel at the other end of your ten foot leader. Always use Nico press sleeves. No knots. Position the lure(s) in short 50-150' depending on what your wake looks like. Use black braided line to attach to your 10' leader. After the proper distance is set use a business envelope shaped piece of board about 14" X 4" X 1/2" as a down planner. Drill a 1/4" hole 5" from each end through the middle of the board. Take your line and leader (length of your choice) an make a 1' loop in the end of the line that is opposite from where it is attached to the leader. Pinch the loop together and pass it through the hole in one end of your board, and then pass the board through the loop and snug into place. the line will come off one side and end of the board. Take some more braid and make the same loop and pass it through the hole at the other end of the board but have the line come out the other side and end. The board will now act as a down planer. put the whole rig into the water while under way 6knts is perfect. The board will dive as far as you give it line. You can now attach to a bungee for the shock, or just tie off for some lip ripping. When the fish hits the lure it puts additional stress on the board and flips it over. The board then planes to the surface. Just hand line in your catch, you never have to stop. Just keep sailing. DO NOT WASTE GIN ON THE FISH. Take a swig of GIN and tonic then while the fish is gaffed and still over the side, take you index finger and slide it up under the belly side of the gills . Hook your finger around the aorta and give it a yank Yank. The fish will bleed out immediately. If it is a Tuna do the same but also cut across the tendons on each side near the Caudal tail fin. This will help prevent Scombroid poisoning which is always prevalent in a mishandled Scombridae species. Well there you have it. By the way plain white feathers work just fine. Most use the adage of: Dark day, dark color. Bright day, bright color. When your not fishing just wind the whole line and leader around the board and stow it. You can have several lengths and colors ready to go. Keep some gloves around for the bigger fish and use your winch if it really get good.
pbpg and OPossumTX like this.
Old 09-21-2011
1977 RK-21

pbpg is on a distinguished road
Post a picture of your lure? I used to tie flies and it would make more sense to me upon seeing the finished product! Nice lure to have aboard!
Old 09-24-2011
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
i troll while under sail-- i donot use a rod or reel--i do it mexican style--a 200 pound test with a magenta and indigo lure having a double hook on it large enough for the line, and off the sternmost shroud. make a slipknot in the line and it will snag the fish as well as notify you of "fish on".....did this from ensenada to mazatlan, and caught many bonito and a skipjack and a barracuda--wanted a dorado, but that didnt happen--next time!!
i also have a nice ugly stick and spinning reel for stationary fishing --- so far i am using a yellow lure with a spinny thing for attracting fishioes--we see what we catch with that.

when i used a trolling rod n reel in gulf of mexico, i kept losing fish and breaking the rod--i like the mexican style, as my fishies dont go away .....only lost one, as opposed to having lost half the ones i hooked with rod.....wi9th hand over hand retrieval, the fish doesnt have a chance to run under the boat and cut the line.....
OPossumTX likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2011

SailerDoc2 is on a distinguished road
Never tried hand lining. I use boat poles, 5.5 ft. Might have to try yoyo trolling. Lots of good discussion. Thanks all.
Old 09-24-2011

place the line on most aft shroud and have a slipknot in it --the fish being hooked releases knot, the jerking makes fish hook dig into mouth of fishie and he is yours, hand over hand and fishie is in boat. easy .
OPossumTX and Creeker like this.

Old 09-25-2011

PJFORD is on a distinguished road
Often trolled while crossing Lake St. Clair; picked up several smaller muskies doing this; also jigged the Detroit river for walleye while drifting ( got plenty of offers for a tow! ha, ha). Adds a nice touch to the evening meal when you pick up a keeper
Old 09-25-2011
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road
At one time all fishing boats were sailboats, many cruisers have been based off of the design for fishing vessels. Friendship sloops for example were originally designed to fish for cod. The Sharpie was an oyster vessel which is now used as a pleasure sailor. The Barnegat Sneak Box was designed and build for duck hunting and fishing and were popular pleasure sailboats until around the 1950s.

I spent my first day on a 30 ft oday today and having spent countless amounts of money on charter fishing trips, that boat had much less gear in the way then some charter boats I have been on.

Besides; fishing would be boring if it wasn't for the challenges, might as well ad a sailing rig to the mix to spice it up some
Old 09-27-2011
I make sawdust

thereefgeek is on a distinguished road
We dragged a home-made version of one of these from San Diego to Catalina Is. last summer an got hit a couple times by schoolie sized (5-8lb.) yellowtail.

SAILBOATERS COMBO

Nothing better than fresh hamachi sashimi with a little wasabi and a Kirin to wash it down while you're watching the sunset behind the Island.
Old 09-27-2011

don't even need the shock cord. save money by learning how to tie slipknots in 200 pound test.....
jbert likes this.

Tags
fishing