Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
One option that can save you a bundle over the long run is finding a sailing club where membership requires a certain number of days work. Hempstead Harbor Club comes to mind but it is on L.I. It works something like this: you buy a cradle and mooring for your boat (both of which you are responsible for maintaining), the first year you pay an initiation fee but subsequent years your annual costs (for summer and winter) should go down to less then $4K (perhaps even less). In a scenario like this you would have to be ready to launch and take out your boat when the club schedules it. HHC uses their parking lot for winter storage of cruising boats and hires the heavy equipment needed for launching and hauling.
There must be a similar kind of club somewhere along the CT coast.

The cheapest route might be to pay for a mooring permit in some municipality and buy a mooring. I know some folks who pay to have their boat hauled to their driveway over the winter. Since boatyard winter storage has risen in cost this is more of a realistic option, if you have the space for it and the neighbors who wont complain.
WanderingStar likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2011
Kevin

paintpollz is on a distinguished road
I'm a DIY guy for sure. I've been doing a lot of searching and haven't found anything like that. I'm going to try to make my searches more specific. Thanks for your input.

caleb, I'll check into this. Thanks for the heads up. The only thing with the towns that you can get mooring permits and pay for installation/removal is where do you put the dinghy?

Last edited by paintpollz; 12-02-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I agree about a club. We spent some time at Spicer's Marina in Noank and thought the costs were not unreasonable (for New England). The yard is DIY which is a major plus and there is a decent marine store on site. They have docks and mooring but I have no idea of price. The docks seemed a bit close together but obviously better for a 30 footer than a 45.

A plus for this is that Noank is a very pretty town in a nice area.
Old 12-02-2011

steel is on a distinguished road
If you have a trailer for the boat then winter storage becomes really cheap.

What about getting a really good anchor instead of using the mooring? You could have several heavy weights and you could drop them down on the bottom one by one right next to each other and it would be kind of like having your own mooring, but you could still pull them up again fairly easily. If you need an anchor light a solar panel would power it.

I was thinking about getting one of those small inflatable beach toy rafts that would fit in a back pack with a battery powered air pump for a dingy. It should only take 2 minutes to fill it up if you have a good pump. You can run the pump in vacuum mode too. You could even get a sealed battery and have a trolling motor to power it! The handle would stick up out of the top of the back pack but it would still work.

I know this doesn't apply to you but I did some research and down South where there was the oil disaster the prices were really good!

Last edited by steel; 12-02-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2011
Kevin

well I dont have a diesel to tow it with and a c30 is a pretty big boat to tow...

steel are you saying just anchor the boat offshore during the entire summer even when I'm not there??? I haven't heard of people doing that. I had a few buddies who anchored outside edgartown, ma harbor for the weeks they spent in the vineyard but never for an entire summer... I'll check out Noank and Spicers. I'm a big DIY guy.
Old 12-03-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Find an appropriate location and sink your own helix mooring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-04-2011

dinosdad is on a distinguished road
If you go up the ct river to haddam or portland you can save money on winter storage, and won't have to step the mast, and the yards are more diy friendly, not to mention cheaper than storing on the shoreline. for a slip or mooring take some rides and poke around the shoreline towns looking for the smaller mom and pop marinas{they're out there } . you'll know you found one when 1. they don't have a website, in fact the only mouse they have is the one that scurries around the office floor, 2. the only pool they have is for the super bowl 3. the bathrooms remind you of summer camp. seriously though try
clinton riverside basin marina, not a bad ride from central ct and a nice town with nightlife and eateries, and they will be cheaper than their neighboring marinas that are equipped with all the bells and whistles.
Old 12-04-2011
Kevin

great thanks for the responses guys
Old 12-11-2011

steel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
steel are you saying just anchor the boat offshore during the entire summer even when I'm not there??? I haven't heard of people doing that. I had a few buddies who anchored outside edgartown, ma harbor for the weeks they spent in the vineyard but never for an entire summer...
I was thinking more of making your own mooring. Something permanent that wouldn't drag at.

It doesn't take long for marina slip fees to exceed the value of a boat.
Old 12-11-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
There is really nothing wrong with starting with a trailer boat.

Think how many people stretched themselves on real estate and became miserable. I started with trailer boats (beach cat then a Stiletto, which isn't really trailerable) and I wouldn't have missed the expereince for ANYTHING. They are cheaper to operate, can "go to the weather at 60 mph" to see new places, and will teach you to sail. Some are quite seaworthy and many can take you far.

Then move to something more comfortable, with all of the knowledge gained.

Sail Delmarva: The Merits of Learning to Sail on a Small Boat

Sail Delmarva: Stiletto Stuff

---

If you still want the in-water boat, look for small work boat marinas and unfashionable places. Often folks have a few slips behind the house that they rent out. You'll have to do some looking, but the savings can be huge. I stay in such a marina and it is ~ 1/3 the going price.

Sail Delmarva: Catamaran Row

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber