Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
Hey no hating on the east coast or even ri. i don't know what boat yards you are looking at but the boat yards around me rather you keep your mast up so they can fit more boats in the yard. Also you can cut that in half probally if you do the work yourself. don't be affraid to get dirty.
Old 12-11-2011
Kevin

paintpollz is on a distinguished road
thanks! I am a DIY guy, I just dont know how boat yards work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2012
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
In the Middle

You pay for what you get. Mast up and down extra dollars, they cover extra dollars, they winterize engine extra dollars, they winterize potable and un-potable water systems extra dollars. You get the picture. I'm sorry but I would never use a marina that tells/makes me unstep and step my mast an item you can't do yourself.
All other items you can do yourself, such as the winterizing, covering, cleaning, etc.
All these points have a return of investment value. I personally enjoy doing the things I can do myself as it is part of the boating experience. Hey some people have their boats started, sails put ready, and so on and when they get back have the boat cleaned and vacuumed and slipped by marina personnel (those owners must be happy boaters)
All kidding aside there must be some places in your area that can offer less expensive service.
To finish I'm happy I'm not on either coast and just in the middle, much nicer for the boat with no salt to deal with, and less expensive overall and many choices. Love the Great Lakes

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Old 01-28-2012

prishi is on a distinguished road
Humbly submitting (for the benifit of readers of newbees @ this forum):- Leaving any boat at Anchor, even with multiple anchors, unattended, for long-term is a BAD IDEA. 'Long term' could mean 'a week', a month, or even shorter, depending on the weather and a change in the weather. Anchors can easily drag if wind/current increases or after multiple changes in tide. Anchors need to be tended to at all times. The only safe thing to do is to Moor the boat using Moorings, probably two, if leaving the boat for a longer while.
(My first post to this forum.)
helenwiley likes this.
Old 01-28-2012

helenwiley is on a distinguished road
Reasonable boat yard in Ct

[QUOTE=paintpollz;802681]In my first month of learning about sailing...

I've been emailing/calling boatyards in CT and RI for seasonal mooring pricing/storage. average is about $3200 per season for a mooring and about $1800 for hauling, bottom wash, unstepping, and spring launch. If you tac on insurance, 1700, and another 2000 for maintenance, we're looking at expenses totaling around $8,700 per year.

I know this may be way after the fact, and I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. If you you are still looking for a reasonbable boat yard, talk to Joe Ryan at Ryan's Marine Services in Bridgeport, CT. It is a user friendly boatyard with slips, haul out, and storage.

Helen Wiley, Cornucopia, Finnsailer 35, Savannah, GA
Old 01-28-2012
S/V Antares

rwy36 is on a distinguished road
Another option may be to consider moorings in the Connecticut River in the Old Lyme / Old Saybrook area. The summer mooring cost will be more like $2,200 and will make access to winter storage further up the Connecticut River more convenient as well (especially late in the season). North Cove (which is operated by the Old Saybrook Harbor Commission) is another possibility but there is a multi-year waiting list to get a spot in there.

Also, I know Midway Marina in Haddam (just north of the Haddam swing bridge) is a DIY yard that allows either 'mast up' or 'mast down' winter storage. Their boat storage yard is up a hill from the river so that additional safety advantage is a plus during the springtime high water periods (which are quite variable).

While not quite as convenient as being based in Eastern LI Sound, home porting in the CT River still provides reasonable access to many weekend destinations. Another key advantage is the I-95 traffic you'll miss (especially on those Sunday afternoons/evenings). The main downsides are either the RR bascule bridge or an unfavorable tide - both which can delay your voyage up/down the river to some extent.

Good luck,

Bill
Old 02-28-2012
Kevin

thanks for all the help guys. sorry for the lack of posting.
Old 02-28-2012
Kevin

a sailing club seems like a good idea.
Old 03-15-2012
Kevin

Re: how to cut costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosdad View Post
If you go up the ct river to haddam or portland you can save money on winter storage, and won't have to step the mast, and the yards are more diy friendly, not to mention cheaper than storing on the shoreline. for a slip or mooring take some rides and poke around the shoreline towns looking for the smaller mom and pop marinas{they're out there } . you'll know you found one when 1. they don't have a website, in fact the only mouse they have is the one that scurries around the office floor, 2. the only pool they have is for the super bowl 3. the bathrooms remind you of summer camp. seriously though try
clinton riverside basin marina, not a bad ride from central ct and a nice town with nightlife and eateries, and they will be cheaper than their neighboring marinas that are equipped with all the bells and whistles.
I am going to check this out. Thanks dino
Old 03-15-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: how to cut costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prishi View Post
Humbly submitting (for the benifit of readers of newbees @ this forum):- Leaving any boat at Anchor, even with multiple anchors, unattended, for long-term is a BAD IDEA. 'Long term' could mean 'a week', a month, or even shorter, depending on the weather and a change in the weather. Anchors can easily drag if wind/current increases or after multiple changes in tide. Anchors need to be tended to at all times. The only safe thing to do is to Moor the boat using Moorings, probably two, if leaving the boat for a longer while.
(My first post to this forum.)
WOW, well said for a second post!

This is good advice, for a subject that has some history on this board. For example, see:
Well my day really sucked.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.