Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011
Kevin

paintpollz is on a distinguished road
how to cut costs

In my first month of learning about sailing...

I've been emailing/calling boatyards in CT and RI for seasonal mooring pricing/storage. average is about $3200 per season for a mooring and about $1800 for hauling, bottom wash, unstepping, and spring launch. If you tac on insurance, 1700, and another 2000 for maintenance, we're looking at expenses totaling around $8,700 per year.

I've pretty much got my heart set on a Catalina 30. I feel as though that's a great weekender boat for my needs. I compare the kind of money spent on the boat to the money you spend on a cell phone. Its not the item your really buy, its the service every year that you pay that big bux for, and that's fine with me.

I'd like to cut that yearly service cost down a little. It would be nice to be by the beaches, but it just may be out of my price range. I could afford 8700 a year, but I dont want to live off ramen noodles until my next pay raise.

I know that I can contact coastal towns and inquire about mooring permits, which I have not done yet (besides stonington, ct.) Maybe some of you can recommend muncipalities that I could reach out to. Another concern is where do I park the dinghy within reasonable distance?

I invision sunrise sailing, and beach in the afternoon. And having a place to rest my head in between. Also a nice place to take off from for a few 3-4 day cruises when I can get the time off. Is this realistic?

Thanks for all your help and support in advance.

Last edited by paintpollz; 12-02-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
You can cut some of the maintenance and winterizing expenses by learning how to do as much as possible yourself.

Why are you factoring in unstepping the mast each year?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-02-2011
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Why are you factoring in unstepping the mast each year?
Just for that particular boat yard because they were using a crane and needed to have it that way.

Last edited by paintpollz; 12-02-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-02-2011
A mod and her dragon

So that boatyard forces you to take the mast down in the winter? I think I did hear about that from another forum member. I guess it's a Northern or New England thing.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 12-02-2011
Kevin

I think its because most yards have an open ended travel lift and this particular used a framed crane and cant get around it.
Old 12-02-2011

Rozz is on a distinguished road
wow... another reason i wont live east coast. i dont even pay half that for mine and my insurance in only just over $100 a year lol (granted i am insured at boat worth of 25k haha suckers lol)
rbrasi likes this.
1967 Bristol 29 #35

Last edited by Rozz; 12-02-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2011
A mod and her dragon

If limited to the US in choices of places to live, I wouldn't leave the east coast despite the cost. The many sailing opportunities (Bays, rivers, lakes, offshore) and the amount of non-sailing activities are well worth it.

I'd like it to be a bit warmer, but climate change will take care of that soon enough.
StormBay and prishi like this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 12-02-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I would think you could do better for a seasonal mooring. Winter storage seems reasonable, but there are plenty of places that don't require you to unstep the mast and would be cheaper. You can summer and winter in different places. Most marinas give a small discount to year round tenants and first preference to winter tenants on summer spots, but you can often find it pays to split up anyway.

On the other hand, that total sounds like a good budget for a 30 footer as is.
prishi likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-02-2011
Kevin

ya I think its a good budget too. I'll stick with it.
Old 12-02-2011

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Best way to cut costs is to Do It Yourself.

We belong to a DIY yacht club up here on Lake Superior. Members do it all. This includes mast removal and stepping, winterizing, boat cover (we get real winter up here), etc. Our club owns a big travel lift, but even that is operated by volunteers. All in (including our storage costs, annual dues, and seasonal dockage), we pay about $1,150.00 per year.

I know it's hard to find DIY yards, but if you can, the costs become very reasonable.
prishi likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.