SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   Living aboard in Florida (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/84200-living-aboard-florida.html)

Clarity2 02-22-2012 04:38 PM

Living aboard in Florida

Anybody know of a more or less comprehensive listing of marinas in SE Florida that permit living aboard? I am interested, among other things, in establishing FL as my legal residence, but would not be there 365 days a year, so any information about how to accomplish mail forwarding would also be helpful. Thanks!

Clarity2 02-22-2012 04:40 PM

I should add: 42 foot sloop, 5'8" draft, 12 foot beam; ideally not too far from open ocean. Might also consider a condo with deeded dockage included if anyoe has any inspiration along that line.

FSMike 02-23-2012 12:20 AM

Marinas can change their policies on liveaboards. Don't know of a list, you might google activecaptain or pick up a copy of the Waterway Guide and start there. You would probably have to contact individual marinas yourself.

St. Brendans Isle in Green Cove Springs is an excellent mail forwarding service and can be a great help with establishing residency.

PBzeer 02-23-2012 12:56 AM

Rickenbacker Marina at Key Biscayne - Yatchs, Boats, Catamarans, Sailboats and Jet Skis is probably your best bet in Miami, for value. There are a number of marinas, most of which I expect are pretty pricey. There's some in Ft Lauderdale and around Lake Worth.

ppiccolo1 02-23-2012 02:49 AM

Let us know what you find out. I'm in the same situation for next fall.

Thanks
Paul

Clarity2 02-23-2012 04:10 PM

Thank you very much, FSMike! St. Brendan's Isle sounds perfect.

jzk 02-23-2012 06:29 PM

Have you considered living at anchor and just paying for dinghy dock service? You get the benefits of the anchor view/breeze/freedom and some of the benefits of the dock like parking, showers, mail, etc.

ppiccolo1 02-24-2012 04:17 AM

JZK is that a viable option? I'm a solar panel away from that being feasible for me and looking at SE Florida or maybe corpus christi depending on my work situation, but I have no issues with living on the hook. Is there legalities to consider? If I had a $2,000,000 house on the beach, I wouldn't want some wing-nut dropping anchor off it.

CalebD 02-24-2012 06:00 AM

Boot Key harbor down on Marathon in the Keys: Boot Key Harbor
Lots of live aboard folks there.
Your draft sounds a bit deep for easy access though.

jzk 02-24-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppiccolo1 (Post 836085)
JZK is that a viable option? I'm a solar panel away from that being feasible for me and looking at SE Florida or maybe corpus christi depending on my work situation, but I have no issues with living on the hook. Is there legalities to consider? If I had a $2,000,000 house on the beach, I wouldn't want some wing-nut dropping anchor off it.

I know you can do that in West Palm Beach, Miami, and Key West. But that is by no means a complete list, just what I know of.