Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012

sep2x is on a distinguished road
Re: How to live aboard? possible?

We lived on a 27' boat (which we got in amazingly good condition for less than $3k in 2009) for nearly two years. it was great for my then-boyfriend and the cat, but for two people, really crowded. We now live on a 32' which is exponentially larger, more comfortable, and more seaworthy. That being said, we have friends who are a little shorter than us and are really comfy on their 27 footer. It all depends on what boats are for sale in your area! I use search tempest . com to search all the craigslists in the area, that cuts down on time searching and thousands of great boats are for sale by owner on Craigslist. I love it.

Good luck with your search!

Sophi
floridajaxsailor likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Just a couple of thoughts that I didn't catch in much good advice above.

Budget to have a professional surveyor check the boat you intend to buy. A boat with a wet core or in need of standing rigging replacement could triple your budget, after you own her!

Many liveaboards never leave their slip. Some don't maintain a seaworthy vessel, perhaps do to cost. Others spread so much stuff around, it is just too much trouble to prepare to sail, when everything must be secure. On shore storage is a good idea, no matter how spartan you believe you can get. Some use a van for storage, which I think is a very cleaver idea. Then, just be sure you are educated in what it will cost to keep her seaworthy, even doing your own work.

Even if you could be content with a dock queen that never actually sails, many marinas are not. Of your boat starts to look run down, you bring down property values......

This can totally be done and I wish you much luck. Just things to consider.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-28-2012

jaymckay is on a distinguished road

Right there with you brother, i live in jacksonville beach and i have the exact same plan.

however i barely have any $ saved up and no mechanical or electrical knowledge.. i sound like an idiot right? haha its ok. i can learn. its part of the adventure.

my idea is to buy a catalina 27 thats solid, but would still need work on as i go before i believe shes ready to sail. its gonna take getting rid of most of my possessions and sacrificing for the "greater good". with the marina out here, they offer showers, a lounge with wifi and they are liveaboard friendly.

keep updated with your status !
Old 05-27-2012

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road

If you are working full time, you might be able to handle living on a 28' boat. I knew people who did in San Francisco--which had a mild climate. Most people would go crazy or else have to spend the bulk of their time off the boat. I suggest you find some place else to live and buy a project boat and finish off the exterior. After that you can move on and finish the interior, or better, finish it and then move on. After spending years getting the boat in good shape, you will wish you got a loan and bought a more expensive boat. You will enjoy it more if it is sailable. Working on boats gets tedious. I've been doing it for years. Be prepared to hire help to get things moving along, or else it will take a while. Every day I meet people working on project boats and all of them want me to fix their boats for $10 an hour. It is sad to see all these people doing nothing and whining. Don't be a whiner.
Old 05-28-2012

maine89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymckay View Post
Right there with you brother, i live in jacksonville beach and i have the exact same plan.

however i barely have any $ saved up and no mechanical or electrical knowledge.. i sound like an idiot right? haha its ok. i can learn. its part of the adventure.

my idea is to buy a catalina 27 thats solid, but would still need work on as i go before i believe shes ready to sail. its gonna take getting rid of most of my possessions and sacrificing for the "greater good". with the marina out here, they offer showers, a lounge with wifi and they are liveaboard friendly.

keep updated with your status !
I would really really advise against selling any/all of your stuff to get the boat. I'm making an itemized list of everything I needed to buy for my (first) boat so I can post it for others later. My boat price was next to nothing and even without anything fancy the costs have quickly risen. Tools, permits, supplies, mooring & mooring equipment, etc. I had done a ton of research before buying my boat and understood it was going to have a lot of unforeseen costs but I was off by a lot. I don't mind because it is worth it to me but if I had to sell my stuff to buy the boat the rest of the expenses would have sunk me for sure.

I wish had my list ready because you probably won't realize how a bunch of things add up. I believe the people that caution others on all the hidden costs have actually mentally missed a lot of the costs because I only realize a lot of them because I've written them down and saved the receipts. If I had to guess how much I've paid I would have guesses a much lower number.
Old 05-28-2012

ppiccolo1 is on a distinguished road

dude... regardless off those posts you'll be sweet! works out
Old 05-28-2012

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road

There are lots of boats for sail that are fully equipped and well maintained with spares. Keep looking until you find one. An Albin Vega is a tough but small boat that sells cheap. Many are very well maintained. Like shopping for a car, avoid the boats that have not been loved. Or if you like working on boats, and I do, look for wrecks to bring back to life. Don't pay much for a wreck. Do pay a fair price for a nice boat. I think you can find a decent well maintained boat owned by someone getting too old to maintain it who wants to see their boat live on.
Old 05-28-2012

jaymckay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine89 View Post
I would really really advise against selling any/all of your stuff to get the boat. I'm making an itemized list of everything I needed to buy for my (first) boat so I can post it for others later. My boat price was next to nothing and even without anything fancy the costs have quickly risen. Tools, permits, supplies, mooring & mooring equipment, etc. I had done a ton of research before buying my boat and understood it was going to have a lot of unforeseen costs but I was off by a lot. I don't mind because it is worth it to me but if I had to sell my stuff to buy the boat the rest of the expenses would have sunk me for sure.

I wish had my list ready because you probably won't realize how a bunch of things add up. I believe the people that caution others on all the hidden costs have actually mentally missed a lot of the costs because I only realize a lot of them because I've written them down and saved the receipts. If I had to guess how much I've paid I would have guesses a much lower number.

i will be saving for a long time ive come to the conclusion that im going to need about twice as much $ as the boat is worth,, but probably even more .

this includes slip fees, registration, replacement parts in order to get her up to standards, outhaul and the time for cleaning, checking for blisters and major repairs, . so much stuff to name off, even just to get her decent. Or i could just save save save and never do anything til i get a brand spankin new one! but thats not my cup of tea

the greatest gifts require patience
Old 05-28-2012

maine89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymckay View Post
i will be saving for a long time ive come to the conclusion that im going to need about twice as much $ as the boat is worth,, but probably even more .

this includes slip fees, registration, replacement parts in order to get her up to standards, outhaul and the time for cleaning, checking for blisters and major repairs, . so much stuff to name off, even just to get her decent. Or i could just save save save and never do anything til i get a brand spankin new one! but thats not my cup of tea

the greatest gifts require patience
As long as you're saving, I say go for it! I have no problems with you (or me) going broke outfitting a boat, I think it is well worth it (and far more likely to regret not doing it than you will doing it) but I was just worried when I read about selling possessions to buy the boat. I didn't want someone scraping up the funds to buy the boat because that is the just the tip of the iceberg.

As long as you have the funds available, I say full steam ahead
Old 05-28-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

It's your dream. What's that worth? I spent 5 yrs picking bottles and batteries and scrounging wrecked. buildings to build a 22 ton ketch from the gleanings.I know it can be done.A boat is a collection of neat bits . Make good bits, assemble and good sailing.
mitiempo likes this.