Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Tip of Mast hit bridge...

Replace the missing spreader boot at some point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Looks like you will be fine, other than the windex or other masthead attachments you previously may have had up there.

Still, I would want a rigger to check it out to be sure the impact didn't affect a swage or chainplate, or maybe put a bend in the stick, etc. I wouldn't want to find out with sails under load.
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-16-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

If that's the VHF antenna bent back, it may be broken. Don't transmit on the VHF without doing an SWR test or replacing the antenna, as a break in the antenna could cause damage to the radio when you transmit.
Old 03-16-2012

NotQuiteCapnRon is on a distinguished road

I bet that scared the s+_t out of you. Boat name became too relevant for a moment. (: From what we can see in the photos, it looks like you got lucky on structural damage, and not getting hurt.
Looks like you are in a protected marina....You could always raise the main at the dock and make sure everything is functioning properly. Mast of your size commonly have pre-bend or built in rake to promote weather helm, which is to say they are intentionally slightly curved aft. I don't know that Rangers are pre bent, but keep it in mind before you look up the mast and get nervous thinking the mast is bent. Improper shroud tension will easily bend a mast side to side of that size too. If your mast were damaged slightly, you might notice it by seeing a widening in the slot.

If needed, Google or YouTube Mast stepping and you will find some info/videos on raising and lowering mast on boats similar in size to Ranger 22. I have a Cal 22 (a pretty similar boat) and I like to have two able bodied guys to handle the weight and another set of hands. A mast crutch and an A-frame would be nice. I just built one for this season. It's not that the mast is all that heavy, it just awkward and shrouds almost always catch on something. Two strong guys and and an extra pair of hands to to run around and fix snags and work the pins really helps. I don't have to detach my shrouds, but I do loosen them considerably. In fact, in my situation, I feel better about having the shrouds attached to help keep the mast as straight as possible once the forestay is detached. You can probably find a couple of guys around the marina that have lowered a mast of your size before. It's a pretty common chore on boats of this size. Once you have everything ready to go, the muscle work and actual lowering of the mast won't take more than about five minutes. From the photo, it looks like you could run a line around the dock post (off the next boat ups bow) and back to TZ to assist with the weight.

As mentioned in an earlier reply, you really want to make sure the motor didn't get water in it...and after checking your location I see that would be salt water. It might run, but if it has salt water in it, it's going ruin the motor.
Old 03-16-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Tip of Mast hit bridge...

If a rigger inspects and fails the spar....Not a fun way to spend the spring boating season, but his insurance will replace the spar.
They might also replace the standing rigging, since this would put some severe stretch & stress on the surviving wires.

Last edited by olson34; 03-17-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2012
ranger22owner

ranger22owner is on a distinguished road
Tip of Mast hit bridge...

Thankyou for all of the helpful advice but regarding the motor how else can I check for water? I have opened it up checked the spark plugs and oil. The oil had no sign of any sort of water entering it. I looked around the rest of the motor And didn't see any pools of any sort, unless I am missing something...
Old 03-17-2012
seanseamour

seanseamour is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to seanseamour
Not the same problem but may interest some, watch an 80' rig go under a maybe 65' bridge clearance http://www.artseaprovence.com/2012/0...stal-waterway/
Old 03-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger22owner View Post
Thankyou for all of the helpful advice but regarding the motor how else can I check for water? I have opened it up checked the spark plugs and oil. The oil had no sign of any sort of water entering it. I looked around the rest of the motor And didn't see any pools of any sort, unless I am missing something...
Were you motoring or sailing at the time? If sailing, as it sounds, the engine in the pic wouldn't submerge in flat water, unless you lifted the bow 45 degrees. I don't think you have a problem. If the motor was down, it's harder for me to tell where it lies, but your situation would have understandably felt more dramatic than it probably was..

I suspect your motor was unaffected.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-17-2012

NotQuiteCapnRon is on a distinguished road

My lone experience with salt water in a flipped dinghy motor was that the milkyness color of the oil/saltwater mixture was very obvious. After looking at the photo again, I would agree that it looks unlikely you could have dunked the motor.
Old 03-17-2012
ranger22owner

ranger22owner is on a distinguished road
Tip of Mast hit bridge...

My motor was in fact down because I was trolling out of the marina. Inside the marina is the draw bridge that I unfortunately hit. which is why I am not sure of how far it went in the water, it just shut off right after we hit and wouldn't start for a couple hours but once it did it ran perfect. That is when I checked the motor and (my inexperienced eye) did not find any water.