Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012

Richard61 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tip of Mast hit bridge...

Hey How did everything work out? No fair posting only the first half of a story Richard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2012

benajah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger22owner View Post
I am sorry for not being detailed enough but yes my mast caused my bow to lift essentially putting the motor partially in the water. And I was thinking of taking the mast down but I have never done it before. If I were to would I have to undo all of the lines or could I leave them on; furthermore is taking a mast down a very difficult task for a newbie? Also I will try to get pictures tomorrow to better help illustrate the picture.
Yeah you had an accident that could happen to anyone. It sucks but does happen, even to the most experienced folks.
As far as your outboard.... What I would do is pull it off the boat take it home and get an old oil barel mount the engine to it so you have water cooling then you can do whatever repairs needed right there next to your doorstep.
Don't worry about the bow, take the boat to a boatyard to look at the mast. That collision could cause damage to the chain plates, deck, rigging, not to say it did, just that it could and you should have an expert look at it. For what it is worth there is a guy selling an Catalina 22 mast and rigging for 275 on craigslist in the sf bay area right now.
Don't kick yourself in the butt. It happens just fix the damage
Old 04-01-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by benajah View Post
Yeah you had an accident that could happen to anyone. .......
I suppose so, but charts do give bridge heights and I don't think I would getbtha close to one I couldn't get under. I'm sure the OP now feels the same.

In fact, it never ceases to amaze me how close the top of the mast looks to a bridge that I clear by 70 feet, which I do routinely. I can't imagine how close it must look and feel when you might actually hit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-02-2012
ranger22owner

ranger22owner is on a distinguished road
Tip of Mast hit bridge...

Well given that I am in college and the weather has been absolutely horrible I have yet to raise the main but in regards to the motor everything is running smoothly. No cracks were at the base of the mast. All the bolts are just fine and when I looked at the rigging nothing was out of the ordinary. Once summer hits I am going to get the mast checked by a professional rigger or whatever I can afford.
Old 04-02-2012

Richard61 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a safe plan. Good Luck and great Sailing Richard