SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   San Diego or Huntington/Newport (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/86390-san-diego-huntington-newport.html)

Coldduck101 04-18-2012 05:52 PM

San Diego or Huntington/Newport

Greetings from the newbie - I am just getting started with my ocean sailing experience and have a question for those in Southern Cal. I have the opportunity to live almost anywhere I choose so I would like some feedback on the best home port area for a beginner. On the social end I prefer a large enough metro for the land life portions of the day - but wanted to know the consensus - better to learn in the San Diego Harbor/Bay area that is somewhat protected but offers few destinations outside the harbor - or north in the Huntington/Newport area with the islands, bays and multiple close by ports ? Thanks -

MarcHall 04-18-2012 06:27 PM

Re: San Diego or Huntington/Newport

I would rather live in San Diego and that outweighs the rest of it.

I have lived in Orange County and kept the boat in both Long Beach and
Marina del Rey but I much prefer to live in San Diego.

That said I could see moving the boat the back up to Long Beach or San Pedro so that Catalina becomes something like a 3 to 4 hour trip rather then a 12+ hour motor from San Diego.

Regards
Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207

poopdeckpappy 04-18-2012 08:30 PM

SD would be my suggestion also, good place to start ,you'll get a good range of sailing condition both inside and outside the protection of the bay. The last couple weeks have been great storm sailing conditions.

Once you have some capital in the bag you can go where you please.

tomperanteau 04-18-2012 10:48 PM

Also keep in mind that the Long Beach/San Pedro areas are among the least expensive to rent slips in. San Diego is more expensive. If money is a factor, then consider it.

Also consider whether you will be spending more time at the marina or sailing. If you prefer dock time, then rent at a nice marina, and San Diego defiantly has them. If sailing time is your preference, then something closer to Catalina might be preferable.

Coldduck101 04-19-2012 07:48 PM

Hey gang - thanks for the feedback - been kind of leaning to SD anyways - but I know that therer are many things better asked than assumed. Let you all know when I've landed. Thanks again. RD

rgscpat 04-22-2012 04:02 PM

(Semi-hijack warning). I have a similar question: Is there somewhere I can put a lightweight 33-foot sailboat in mast-up storage (for either crane or ramp launching) in Southern California? It's too long for the mast-up storage in MDR and Dana Harbor. There is one commercial mast-up a few blocks from Harbor Island in San Diego that might work, though it's a long snaky path to the ramp and somewhat pricey as well. 33' LOA, 8' beam, 2'/5'6" draft, 4200 lbs displacement.

sww914 07-18-2012 05:12 AM

I'll never go back to Orange County. The harbor cops are sociopaths. San Diego is way better and cheaper. Ensenada is even better.

windward54 07-18-2012 10:42 AM

I learned to sail in Newport and even kept a boat there for a while. Great place to learn to sail and has a lot of programs to choose from, starting with OCC School of Sailing. However, I was happy to move out. Wasn't worth the extra expense. I agree with Tom. After trying several marinas over the years, I really like San Pedro. It's an interesting area and is very close to Catalina.

tomperanteau 07-18-2012 12:55 PM

We recently had an instance where we sometimes drop anchor in the free area just outside Cabrillo. The wife was cooking lunch and we were approached by two officers that told us we had to have a permit to drop anchor in the free area. They told us to call a number and let the port office know who we were and our boat information.

A patrol boat later came out and checked out driver's licences, asked questions, and motored around out boat before having us sign a permit and then leaving.

It did not cost anything but we found it intrusive and probably illegal in some ways.

RatHatDiver 07-18-2012 01:37 PM

San Diego rocks. The only down side is the cost of slipping a boat here. I think its almost criminal. The states average is around 10.50 a foot. Here. 19 to 27 dollars a foot. I guess we pay for the great weather.