Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > SailNet FAQ
 Not a Member? 

SailNet FAQ This forum is specifically on the Sailnet Website and how to do certain things on the website. Please note - any other threads will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012

Coldduck101 is on a distinguished road
San Diego or Huntington/Newport

Greetings from the newbie - I am just getting started with my ocean sailing experience and have a question for those in Southern Cal. I have the opportunity to live almost anywhere I choose so I would like some feedback on the best home port area for a beginner. On the social end I prefer a large enough metro for the land life portions of the day - but wanted to know the consensus - better to learn in the San Diego Harbor/Bay area that is somewhat protected but offers few destinations outside the harbor - or north in the Huntington/Newport area with the islands, bays and multiple close by ports ? Thanks -
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2012

MarcHall is on a distinguished road
Re: San Diego or Huntington/Newport

I would rather live in San Diego and that outweighs the rest of it.

I have lived in Orange County and kept the boat in both Long Beach and
Marina del Rey but I much prefer to live in San Diego.

That said I could see moving the boat the back up to Long Beach or San Pedro so that Catalina becomes something like a 3 to 4 hour trip rather then a 12+ hour motor from San Diego.

Regards
Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207
Old 04-18-2012

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
SD would be my suggestion also, good place to start ,you'll get a good range of sailing condition both inside and outside the protection of the bay. The last couple weeks have been great storm sailing conditions.

Once you have some capital in the bag you can go where you please.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 04-18-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

Also keep in mind that the Long Beach/San Pedro areas are among the least expensive to rent slips in. San Diego is more expensive. If money is a factor, then consider it.

Also consider whether you will be spending more time at the marina or sailing. If you prefer dock time, then rent at a nice marina, and San Diego defiantly has them. If sailing time is your preference, then something closer to Catalina might be preferable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 04-19-2012

Coldduck101 is on a distinguished road

Hey gang - thanks for the feedback - been kind of leaning to SD anyways - but I know that therer are many things better asked than assumed. Let you all know when I've landed. Thanks again. RD
Old 04-22-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

(Semi-hijack warning). I have a similar question: Is there somewhere I can put a lightweight 33-foot sailboat in mast-up storage (for either crane or ramp launching) in Southern California? It's too long for the mast-up storage in MDR and Dana Harbor. There is one commercial mast-up a few blocks from Harbor Island in San Diego that might work, though it's a long snaky path to the ramp and somewhat pricey as well. 33' LOA, 8' beam, 2'/5'6" draft, 4200 lbs displacement.
Old 07-18-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

I'll never go back to Orange County. The harbor cops are sociopaths. San Diego is way better and cheaper. Ensenada is even better.
Old 07-18-2012

windward54 is on a distinguished road

I learned to sail in Newport and even kept a boat there for a while. Great place to learn to sail and has a lot of programs to choose from, starting with OCC School of Sailing. However, I was happy to move out. Wasn't worth the extra expense. I agree with Tom. After trying several marinas over the years, I really like San Pedro. It's an interesting area and is very close to Catalina.
Old 07-18-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

We recently had an instance where we sometimes drop anchor in the free area just outside Cabrillo. The wife was cooking lunch and we were approached by two officers that told us we had to have a permit to drop anchor in the free area. They told us to call a number and let the port office know who we were and our boat information.

A patrol boat later came out and checked out driver's licences, asked questions, and motored around out boat before having us sign a permit and then leaving.

It did not cost anything but we found it intrusive and probably illegal in some ways.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 07-18-2012

RatHatDiver is on a distinguished road

San Diego rocks. The only down side is the cost of slipping a boat here. I think its almost criminal. The states average is around 10.50 a foot. Here. 19 to 27 dollars a foot. I guess we pay for the great weather.