SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   SailNet FAQ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/)
-   -   Android app is not really free. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailnet-faq/88974-android-app-not-really-free.html)

deniseO30 06-24-2012 05:24 PM

Android app is not really free.

Because I'd have to pay to use the "tunes" feature of my phone.. Any way to get it free for real? for sailnet that is. :rolleyes:

tdw 06-24-2012 07:44 PM

Re: Android app is not really free.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 888449)
Because I'd have to pay to use the "tunes" feature of my phone.. Any way to get it free for real? for sailnet that is. :rolleyes:

Denise,
I don't really understand this. I've got an Android and most certainly don't/didn't pay anything to download or run the SailNet app. Mind you I actually prefer to use the phone's browser and log in normally. Maybe others have it sorted but I found the app irritating.

deniseO30 06-25-2012 12:03 AM

okay I downloaded it it works now and I did get it for free. really cool because I can talk to my android!!

hellosailor 06-26-2012 12:14 PM

denise, not knowing which "tunes" app you are talking about it is hard to say.

Any app that plays "live" tunes or fetches tunes for you will require wifi or data charges, whether you pay or run ad-supported. Pandora, I-heart-radio, there are many good ones out there.

I just pigged out and installed a huge sdhc card in my phone, then downloaded a huge lusic library to it. I set it to random play, and I can go about two weeks without hearing the same song twice. No data connections needed, it lives in the phone.

deniseO30 06-26-2012 06:15 PM

Hellos I use Cricket and the music feature is another $10 a month. The one app I was going to D/L needed to run through that.. I'm good to go now.. the app I have works. and it was free.

hellosailor 06-26-2012 06:20 PM

Ah, Cricket. That's a flat-fee all you can eat plan, yes? Not surprising they'd want another buck for "really" unlimited, i.e. music streaming.

The difference between a cellular carrier and a politician, is that the cellcos have no lips. With a politician, if the lips move they're lying. With a cellco, they simply lie, no lips needed.

deniseO30 06-26-2012 09:40 PM

I don't get into music all that much so it's not a problem I will never sign another 2 year contract with any service this I know :)

hellosailor 06-27-2012 11:10 AM

I'd say Amen but I'm still not ready to jump. Here on the Right Coast the monthlies aren't quite caught up to the big cellcos. They've started offering Androids--this year--but just a few of them. They're coverage (i.e. MetroPCS) is spottier, and requires proprietary phones if you want good data coverage/speed. And the seemingly nice folks at Straighttalk (Walmart) dodge technical questions, occassionally remembering odd things like they have unlimited calling--but won't provide 3-way calling at all. With unspecified "other" features or services that may not work. Then there's Virgin/Boost, who last I checked used the old Nextel side of the Sprint/Nextel business, resulting in dog slow speeds and sometimes 48 hours of "no circuits available" on weekends.

Yup, they're all just full of tricks here. Major league or minors alike. I keep thinking of the Progresso commercial, with soup cans on strings....ah, for the good old days. :-)